Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Kevin Porsolt <ke...@crossix.com> on 2018/10/08 12:59:42 UTC

Syntax Issue Between Drill Explorer and Spotfire

Hello, I am looking to configure Apache Drill as an application between our data sources and Spotfire as a way to preserve robust files, while also limiting the stress put on our downstream BI applications. I got though 90% of the configuration setup, but identified a syntax issue between the view created in Drill Explorer and the view read in from ODBC and attempted to be loaded into Spotfire. I tried copying and pasting the created view directly from Drill Explorer into the Spotfire data connection setup, so the view and the table are correctly connected, I just keep on getting a "table does not exist" error due to the syntax issue. I added some additional details below. We are currently using Hadoop and Spark in our technical architecture, so being able to fix this issue and implement Apache Drill would provide a lot of opportunity. Thank you

Apache Drill:
SELECT * FROM 'dfs'.'tmp'.'my_sql_pel_query' LIMIT 100

Spotfire:
SELECT
'dfs.tmp'.'my_sql_pel_query'.*
FROM
'dfs.tmp'.'my_sql_pel_query'

**notice the missing ' ' in 'dfs.tmp'
This is the field that it seems to be reading from the ODBC

Spotfire.Dxp    56f0-4d14               EXIT  SQLGetData  with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)

                                HSTMT               0x000000001BAD4260

                                UWORD                        2

                                SWORD                       -8 <SQL_C_WCHAR>

                                PTR                 0x0000000022B20210 [      14] "dfs.tmp"

                                SQLLEN                  4094

                                SQLLEN *            0x000000002AB5DC90 (14)

Kevin D Porsolt
Technical Product Manager
t: 646-839-9385 | m: 732-213-9621

CROSSIX | Data Driven. Data Proven. | crossix.com<http://crossix.com/>

This message and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to any other person.

For further information about Crossix please see our website at http://www.crossix.com.

Re: Syntax Issue Between Drill Explorer and Spotfire

Posted by ho...@gmail.com, ho...@gmail.com.
Hello Kevin,

Could you elaborate your workflow a bit more? What is the exact query string you are copying from Drill Explorer and where in Spotfire are you copying the query string to?

Can you also enable and capture driver log while running your workflow? You can follow instructions in https://drill.apache.org/docs/logging-and-tracing/ to enable logging in the driver. Please try to set log level to TRACE (6).

Thanks,
Holman

On 2018/10/08 12:59:42, Kevin Porsolt <ke...@crossix.com> wrote:
> Hello, I am looking to configure Apache Drill as an application between our data sources and Spotfire as a way to preserve robust files, while also limiting the stress put on our downstream BI applications. I got though 90% of the configuration setup, but identified a syntax issue between the view created in Drill Explorer and the view read in from ODBC and attempted to be loaded into Spotfire. I tried copying and pasting the created view directly from Drill Explorer into the Spotfire data connection setup, so the view and the table are correctly connected, I just keep on getting a "table does not exist" error due to the syntax issue. I added some additional details below. We are currently using Hadoop and Spark in our technical architecture, so being able to fix this issue and implement Apache Drill would provide a lot of opportunity. Thank you
>
> Apache Drill:
> SELECT * FROM 'dfs'.'tmp'.'my_sql_pel_query' LIMIT 100
>
> Spotfire:
> SELECT
> 'dfs.tmp'.'my_sql_pel_query'.*
> FROM
> 'dfs.tmp'.'my_sql_pel_query'
>
> **notice the missing ' ' in 'dfs.tmp'
> This is the field that it seems to be reading from the ODBC
>
> Spotfire.Dxp    56f0-4d14               EXIT  SQLGetData  with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)
>
>                                 HSTMT               0x000000001BAD4260
>
>                                 UWORD                        2
>
>                                 SWORD                       -8 <SQL_C_WCHAR>
>
>                                 PTR                 0x0000000022B20210 [      14] "dfs.tmp"
>
>                                 SQLLEN                  4094
>
>                                 SQLLEN *            0x000000002AB5DC90 (14)
>

> Kevin D Porsolt
> Technical Product Manager
> t: 646-839-9385 | m: 732-213-9621
>
> CROSSIX | Data Driven. Data Proven. | crossix.com<http://crossix.com/>

> This message and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to any other person.
>
> For further information about Crossix please see our website at http://www.crossix.com.

Hello K

Re: Syntax Issue Between Drill Explorer and Spotfire

Posted by Abhishek Girish <ag...@apache.org>.
Hey Kevin,

It looks like the storageplugin.workspace.table_path are specified with
single quotes (' ') instead of back-ticks (` `). Is that a email formatting
issue, or the actual syntax with your query? If latter, can you try
correcting it? Also a note in general: you do not need those back-ticks
unless you are using a reserved word or a period (.).

Regards,
Abhishek