Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it> on 2003/09/24 12:31:55 UTC

Re: Use of flowscript

Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> From: Tim Olson
>>flow scripts seem to present the same problem as ASPs, JSPs, and
>>XSPs in
>>that too much process logic ends up on the web server,
>>disjoined from the business objects they work with.  granted,
>>if you write them correctly they are simple, but i've never
>>seen this in practice.  it's too tempting for someone to put
>>code in the view layer to just "get it done"
> I don't understand this. Of course every technology can be abused (IMHO
> actions are the best candiate to be abused BTW) but from the mentioned
> technologies (including actions) flowscript is the technology that
> prevents you best from abuseing it.

Abusing the flowscript might come in handy. You can do a quick
javascript prototype of your logic, test it, then refactor it in Java.
This is what we do all the time here.

	Ugo

Phone: +39.0382.525100 - E-mail: u.cei@cbim.it

RE: Use of flowscript

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Yep, I do the same with the business logic (first JS then Java). What I
haven't understood is "it's too tempting for someone to put
code in the view layer to just 'get it done'".

Reinhard