Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by cfr Mails 2016 <cf...@gmx.net> on 2016/03/20 19:29:56 UTC

WorksheetPlugin

Hi JSPWiki developers,

I am working with JSPWiki since a few years now (as a user) and it is really useful for distributing up-to-date information to the team.

We are working a lot with Microsoft Office products, and people like having their data stored in Excel tables.
In order to get this data into JSPWiki, I have been working with the "Table" plugin.
It works, and looks good, but formatting is a bit time consuming.

Now I have played around with Apache POI, which is a library to directly access Excel Workbooks from Java Code:
The "Worksheet Plugin" extracts the data from from an Excel Workbook, and generates a string which then will be parsed by the Table plugin.

Through this, JSPWiki can have a Excel workbook as Attachment on a page, and present its content in an ordinary wiki table.

Usage:

[{WorksheetPlugin src='NameOfAttachedExcel.xlsx' sheetName='MyData' }]

For sure this is just a basic version, which just prints the content of the cells.
Improvements could be:
- take care of cell formatting,
- support merged cells,
- Caching of the content, so that the excel doesn't need to be parsed again and again;
- directly create html from the cells instead of using the "Table" plugin,
- support images and diagrams
- etc.
But this first version works.

There are a few questions:
- the plugin requires a number of additional .jar files (poi.xml and others).
  Can I package these additional jar files together with "my" plugin, so that the user needs to copy only one .jar file into the WEB-INF/lib directory?

- As I didn't want that the user must install the "Table" Plugin additionally, I have included it's unchanged source code into the new plugin.
  Is it ok to do so? Is there a better approach?

- under which license should I publish the plugin?
  Everybody should be able to use and improve free of charge. JSPWiki is under Apache Software License 2.0; is this what I want for WorksheetPlugin?

- I don't have access to the attachments at https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/ <https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/>. The wiki won't let me create an Account.
  How can I get an account here? If the plugin proves useful, should I create a page in that wiki?

Sources are here. Please review. This is my first JSPWiki plugin. Looking forward to feedback
https://github.com/generatorr/WorksheetPlugin <https://github.com/generatorr/WorksheetPlugin>

Download v0.1-alpha:
https://github.com/generatorr/WorksheetPlugin/releases <https://github.com/generatorr/WorksheetPlugin/releases>

Thanks!

Christian

Re: WorksheetPlugin

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.
Hi Christian,

Just about to give this a whirl, when the
"WorksheetPlugin-jar-dependencies.zip" file is extracted it seems to
also create a subdirectory containing what looks like OS X resource
forks ("__MACOSX") – is this needed at all?

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz

Re: WorksheetPlugin

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
Christian,

the page is perfectly visible, also for anonymous users.

tx,
Harry

Re: WorksheetPlugin

Posted by Christian Froehler <ch...@gmx.net>.