Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2008/01/21 10:22:36 UTC

Documentation plan (was: esp script not parsing)

On Jan 19, 2008 4:14 PM, Peter Svensson <ps...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...What I would like to be provided with is something like this...

You doc plan below makes sense - getting some up-to-date "getting
started" docs is next on my plate once SLING-149 is over.

One thing that's important in docs is to make sure we can keep them
up-to-date over time.

In my view, the following basic principles help for this:

0) Create as little documentation as possible. But not less that
what's needed to make things understandable ;-)

1) One task, one document: avoid "big" docs that explain too many
things. The goal is to be able to say "this document is totally
obsolete" when the time comes, rather than " this doc has some
obsolete stuff in it".

2) Do not duplicate info in the docs - I'd rather refer people to
(readable) code to find out details about how certain things work, as
opposed to duplicating the logic in the docs and risking out-of-sync
docs.

3) Apart from the overview and general principles, things are best
explained by examples. The best examples are live ones, that people
can play with immediately and that never go out of sync with the code
because they *are* code.

Also, as Sling can be used in *very* different ways depending on
people's needs, I think we'll need some docs along the lines of
"here's an example Sling app based mostly on client-side javascript
code", or "here's an example Sling app based mostly on server-side
Java code", etc..

We'll of course have our favorite way of doing things, but if
community members are using Sling in different ways it'd be good to
reflect this in such examples.

And lastly, magazine articles are a good way of getting our message
out to more people, so I wouldn't mind people writing magazine
articles about Sling instead of (or in addition to) contributing docs
here.

Right now, IMHO the most urgent doc needs are "Sling basic principles
- how does Sling process requests" and "getting started with the Sling
Launchpad using ESP scripts". I hope to help create those soon, but as
I said I have to get rid of SLING-149 first.

Peter, does the above help you find out how you can help?

-Bertrand

Re: Documentation plan (was: esp script not parsing)

Posted by Peter Svensson <ps...@gmail.com>.
I don't have a working printer at home, but I'll do it tomorrow when I'm at
a client.

Cheers,
PS

Posted by "Padraic I. Hannon" <pi...@wasabicowboy.com>.
+1 here as well.

-paddy

Re: Documentation plan (was: esp script not parsing)

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Montag, den 21.01.2008, 10:47 +0100 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
> On Jan 21, 2008 10:27 AM, Peter Svensson <ps...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...Is there some kind of publicly accessible SLing server that can be used for
> > writing 'live' documentation?...
>
> Our wiki is at http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SLING/wiki -
> but writing to it requires an account.
>
> In my opinion, the Sling PPMC (which is our "governing body" - the
> people listed at
> http://incubator.apache.org/sling/site/project-team.html) could vote
> to give you write access to the wiki, but you'd need to send a
> Contributor License Agreement to the ASF (aka "CLA", see
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/).
>
> What do people think? We might have other community members
> interesting in helping with the docs over time, so it'd be good to
> have a simple policy for giving them write access to the wiki.

+1

Regards
Felix

Re: Documentation plan (was: esp script not parsing)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Svensson <ps...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I think so. Now I only need to understand how things work so I can
write about them :)

I like the idea to have small, concise documents targeting one thing at a
time - ideally visible on the screen without scrolling.