Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Giovane Moura <gu...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/28 04:21:58 UTC

Web Service performance issues

Hello,

I'm using Muse/Tomcat/Apache on a Linux box (slackware 10.2)  in order to
run my Web service.

And now I need to do a performance test on my Web Service and find out some
things:

1. How much memory does my web service consume?Can I measure it with Tomcat
Manager? Or Via JMX? What's the best way?
2. How much processing time is it using? If I change my workload on this Web
service, how my entire will be affected?

In order to do that, I tried several aproaches, none yet sucessful.
Can you tell me what's the best & faster way to achieve it, and how to do
that? Is there any good documentation?

So I would like to know the best way to get this information.

Thank you so much

Giovane

Re: Web Service performance issues

Posted by Giovane Moura <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rajeev,

First of all, thanks for your answer.

For memory measuring,  the best ways seems to be JMX. And then connect to it
using some front end application, something like MC4J.

I think that by that way I should put inside my web services the JMX code.
Could I have a problem that way? Couse everytime someone try to use my
webservice, it will register om MBeanServer, thus generating overhead. Or
not? What you say?
By that way, will it be possible to find out the amount of memory that my
web service is consuming, even if 5 or more sessions are running at same
time?

For processing measurement, I'll that try profilling tool.

Thanks once again,

Giovane

On 6/28/06, Rajeev N. Jha <jh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Giovane Moura wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using Muse/Tomcat/Apache on a Linux box (slackware 10.2)  in order
> > run my Web service.
> >
> > And now I need to do a performance test on my Web Service and find out
> > some
> > things:
> >
> > 1. How much memory does my web service consume?Can I measure it with
> > Tomcat
> > Manager? Or Via JMX? What's the best way?
> (A) Tomcat manager gives the heap usage figure. I do not think you can
> get the individual application heap usage from there. (not required also)
> (B) Nothing like best way, JMX beans may expose more properties and that
> could be convenient. like when i use MC4J , i can see number of threads,
> JVM heap usage and bunch of other things in one place.
> (c) on linux box, you can try vmstat to see overall  memory usage. main
> thing is you should not be swapping at any point.
> (d) GC data is something you should be interested in. you can use jstat
> or visualGC.
>

> > 2. How much processing time is it using? If I change my workload on
> > this Web
> > service, how my entire will be affected?
> >
> again , no clear cut winning approach. you can get CPU loads from
> top/vmstat if you are interested in the overall picture. if you are
> interested in checking out method times etc. you would need a profiling
> tool. There is one eclipse plugin that gives you profiling data.
>
> > In order to do that, I tried several aproaches, none yet sucessful.
> > Can you tell me what's the best & faster way to achieve it, and how to
> do
> > that? Is there any good documentation?
> >

> Lets put a document in place ;o)
> > So I would like to know the best way to get this information.
> >
> > Thank you so much
> >
> > Giovane

Best regards,

Posted by "Rajeev N. Jha" <jh...@gmail.com>.