Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com> on 2005/09/14 13:24:12 UTC

Checkout failure

In my CVS vs. SVN tests, I just did a checkout of a branch.
Previously I had checked out the trunk, and that worked.  The branch
checkout runs for slightly longer than the trunk checkout (35 minutes
-- the trunk checkout takes about 30) and then aborts with this
message:
 svn: REPORT request failed on '/repos/equallogic-test/!svn/vcc/default'
 svn: REPORT of '/repos/equallogic-test/!svn/vcc/default': Chunk
      delimiter was invalid (http://svn.dev.equallogic.com:8080)

I tried it twice, same result each time.  What do I do now?

Subversion 1.2.3, Apache 2.0.54, server on Linux (RedHat ES 3), client
on NetBSD 1.6.2.

   paul

Re: Checkout failure

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 14, 2005, at 23:14, Paul Koning wrote:

> Third test, this time using my Mac as the client (still Linux as the
> server).
> [snip]
> Eventually, the operations fails with this message:
>  svn: in directory 'NetBSD162/src/EQL/etc/rc.d'
>  svn: Can't open file
>  'NetBSD162/src/EQL/etc/rc.d/.svn/tmp/text-base-/NETWORK.svn-base':
>  no such file or directory

Do you have two items in this directory whose names differ only in
case? For example, "NETWORK" and "Network"? If so, then that can only
function on a case-sensitive file system like the ones you usually
get on Linux and most other Unix-like operating systems, and on Mac
OS X with case-sensitive Mac OS Extended and UFS, but not on normal
Mac OS Extended nor on the file systems you usually see on Windows
operating systems.

$ cd /tmp
$ svnadmin create repo
$ svn co file:///tmp/repo wc1
Checked out revision 0.
$ svn co file:///tmp/repo wc2
Checked out revision 0.
$ cd wc1
$ touch NETWORK
$ svn add NETWORK
A         NETWORK
$ svn ci -m "Adding NETWORK"
Adding         NETWORK
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 1.
$ cd ../wc2
$ touch Network
$ svn add Network
A         Network
$ svn ci -m "Adding Network"
Adding         Network
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 2.
$ cd ..
$ svn co file:///tmp/repo wc3
A    wc3/NETWORK
A    wc3/Network
svn: In directory 'wc3'
svn: Can't copy 'wc3/.svn/tmp/text-base/Network.svn-base' to 'wc3/
Network.tmp': No such file or directory
$ uname -v
Darwin Kernel Version 8.2.0: Fri Jun 24 17:46:54 PDT 2005;
root:xnu-792.2.4.obj~3/RELEASE_PPC
$ svn --version | head -n 1
svn, version 1.2.3 (r15833)
$

The above is expected for a case-insensitive file system. If I had
wanted to prevent items whose names differs only in case from that of
an existing item from being committed, I would have used a pre-commit
hook script provided in the contrib directory of the Subversion
source distribution which exists for this purpose.

Re: Checkout failure

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.
Third test, this time using my Mac as the client (still Linux as the
server).

That too fails, reproducible, each time at the same spot and in the
same way but different from the failure with the NetBSD client.

Here too I see the file name output from svn stop at some point.
Meanwhile, network traffic continues for 5-10 minutes longer.  I
captured some with ethereal and didn't see anything unusual.

Eventually, the operations fails with this message:
 svn: in directory 'NetBSD162/src/EQL/etc/rc.d'
 svn: Can't open file
 'NetBSD162/src/EQL/etc/rc.d/.svn/tmp/text-base-/NETWORK.svn-base':
 no such file or directory

I thought maybe there's some sort of timeout involved, so I changed
the Timeout value in httpd.conf on the server from 300 to 7200.  No
difference.

HELP!

If I can't get this fixed then I'm going to have to abandon
Subversion; this is a critical bug.

    paul

Re: Checkout failure

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 Paul> In my CVS vs. SVN tests, I just did a checkout of a branch.
 Paul> Previously I had checked out the trunk, and that worked.  The
 Paul> branch checkout runs for slightly longer than the trunk
 Paul> checkout (35 minutes -- the trunk checkout takes about 30) and
 Paul> then aborts with this message: svn: REPORT request failed on
 Paul> '/repos/equallogic-test/!svn/vcc/default' svn: REPORT of
 Paul> '/repos/equallogic-test/!svn/vcc/default': Chunk delimiter was
 Paul> invalid (http://svn.dev.equallogic.com:8080)

 Paul> I tried it twice, same result each time.  What do I do now?

 Paul> Subversion 1.2.3, Apache 2.0.54, server on Linux (RedHat ES 3),
 Paul> client on NetBSD 1.6.2.

I'm running another test now.  It was running through files at a good
pace, and then it slowed to a crawl.  It's working on a directory full
of binaries at the moment.  The log output isn't moving at all (it's
as if the lines of text are buffered somewhere and it hasn't reached a
buffer flush point yet -- apparently conventional stdout line at a
time output doesn't apply).  By watching the directory it's working
on, I can see progress.  VERY slow progress -- it's running
consistently at 3-4 files per MINUTE.  Some of those files are a
megabyte or so, one is 4 MB, but the curious thing is that the pattern
is consistent in terms of files per minute.  In one of those minutes I
see four files totalling about 110 kBytes.  In another minute, I see
four files totalling 4.5 MB.

Something very bizarre is happening here.

	  paul