Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2008/08/10 21:45:02 UTC

Re: tomcat6 use of java generics

Jens Kapitza wrote:
> hi,
> i'm new to this dev-mailing list and i start working at tomcat a few
> days ago.
>
> i've seen that tomcat is using some generics but not at all places there
> are still some lists and maps wich don't use them.
>
> i've start to change it and build it with openjdk on ubuntu.
>
> should i send the patch to this list if it is ready? (svn diff)

I'd create a bugzilla entry and attach them to that. I'd also provide a
separate patch for each package so they are easier to review / apply. Be
aware that the 2.5 Servlet spec doesn't use generics so there are a fair
few things you can't change.

 From what I recall, most of the generics work has been done on trunk
rather than 6.0.x so you should look at creating patches for that rather
than 6.0.x.

Finally, if you want to contribute then as well as the generics work
there is also helping out on the users list, improving the docs and
fixing bugs. Any help in these areas would also be appreciated.

Mark