Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dustin Alldredge <da...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/14 01:46:05 UTC

Development beginner

Hi guys, I recently graduated with my bachelor's degree and would like to
get into development and thought that some experience with open office
would be a great start. I've never been a part of any development teams
outside of my educational experience so any tips or pointers would be very
welcome. I have experience in several languages but am not sure what tools
everyone uses here. Thank you and I look forward to working with you all!!

Re: Development beginner

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
Hi Dustin,

OpenOffice is an old project. The code has been touched by many people.
OpenOffice is also a multi language project.

Parts of it are written in c, c++ or a mix of both. We got java and
python code. The buildĀ  environment is written in perl and bash. We use
in parts dmake, gmake and Ant. We have the Idea to port to SCON.

We have a own COM-Interface written in c,c++ and assembler. It connects
all language pieces.

There is no IDE that can handle this colorful approach. The best IDE
support is offered by eclipse and that is incomplete. Some use Visual
Studio.

Welcome to OpenOffice. :)

Best way to start with OpenOffice is to learn do your own builds and be
persistent. There is no shame in asking questions. Even the experienced
devs here have to ask around.

You find a general guide here:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

specific guide:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step

How to setup eclipse:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice_and_Eclipse

I try to organize tasks on Jira:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?projectKey=OPENOFFICE&rapidView=301

you can of course help to maintain Bugzilla. We get frequent reports,
and have to look at old ones if they still are accurate.
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/

Also you can try and write hints on bugs can be solved. Maybe a hint
where to look can already help that a solution can be found.

Or help update the documentation on Programming. We have some stuff
here: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Development

Hope this gives you enough hints and connects to choose how you
contribute to the project. All actions even learning to build is very
usefull for us.

All the best

Peter