Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Lowenstein <dl...@mail.sdsu.edu> on 2002/09/05 17:18:49 UTC

[users@httpd] Rogue apache process used up all my memory

Hello gurus, here's my situation:

On a sun enterprise 420 with 4GB of ram, 4x450 mhz processors running
apache 1.3.26 compiled with enable-rule=SHARED_CORE, mod_ssl-2.8.10,
mod_perl 1.27, openssl-0.9.6e, mm-1.21, weblogic

an apache process starts building up memory usage to the point that it's
using 3GB of memory and the system begins swapping. This has happened
about four times now in two days, and I can't quite figure out what is
causing it. There is a function in this application that allows users to
copy directories on the file system to new directories, and some of these
directories are over 200MB. The last time this happened was while one of
these copies was happening, although looking at my orca output it seems
that my memory was all used up again last night until apache was restarted
while I did a cold oracle backup (on the other oracle server).

Anyway, I highly doubt this is an apache memory leak. I was wondering if
anyone had any similar experiences or ideas on what the problem might be.

I subscribe to the digest so please cc: me if you're writing back

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Lowenstein
Programmer/Analyst