Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Paul Szoldra <we...@paulszoldra.com> on 2001/03/20 18:44:35 UTC

general/7440: Trouble getting apache to recognize any other files

>Number:         7440
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Trouble getting apache to recognize any other files
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
here's the stuff i did trying to install
mysql, php, and apache. i did it by the book (PHP Fast
& Easy Web Development) The first thing to do was
install MySQL, and btw, all the software they showed
how to install came from the cdrom included with the
book.

MySQL Version 3.22.32
Apache Version 1.3.12
PHP Version 4.0.0

MySQL install.. first off.. mounted cdrom, then did:
cd /mnt/cdrom/software/linux/
cp mysql-3.22.32-pc-linux-gnu-i686.tar.gz /usr/local
cd /usr/local/
gunzip mysql-3.22.32-pc-linux-gnu-i686.tar.gz
tar -xvf mysql-3.22.32-pc-linux-gnu-i686.tar
cd /usr/local/mysql-3.22.32-pc-linux-gnu-i686/
./scripts/mysql_install_db

So far, up to this point, everything has worked. Then
when I issue the command ./bin/safe_mysqld & it says
starting mysql daemon, and then mysql daemon stopped
right after that. Ok, whatever.. skipped it. On to
apache... Also, almost forgot, i issued the command mv
/usr/local/mysql-3.22.32-pc-linux-gnu-i686/
/usr/local/mysql to make the directory smaller.. maybe
this is a problem?

Ok, went onto the cdrom and copied the apache tar.gz
file to /usr/local like the book said.    zipped and
untared it. Now I go into the apache dir (which i
renamed to /apache, and I do:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
--enable-module=so
make
make install
cd /usr/local/apache/conf
pico httpd.conf
find and change ServerName and ServerAdmin, save file.
cd /usr/local/apache
./bin/apachectl start
apache says it is started.. woohoo.
lynx
open url: http://localhost
I get the apache test page. ok so it works.

PHP4 Install:
go to cdrom and copy the php tar.gz file to /usr/local
gunzip and untar the file.
mv /usr/local/php-4.0.0 /usr/local/php
cd ./php
./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache
make
make install

go to the apache dir/conf and edit httpd.conf and take
the #'s off of the php section (php4)

and i open pico.. new file.. i put <? phpinfo(); ?> in
it, i save it to /usr/local/apache/htdocs and i try
lynx

http://localhost/index.php
file not found
http://127.0.0.1/index.php
file not found

I chmod it 777 and still get that error. i check the
httpd.conf file and it says /usr/local/apache/htdocs
is the wwwroot dir. maybe is it because i am root? i
don't know.

i also tried to make an index.html file and still got
file not found. help me out man.. hopefully you can
figure out what's wrong from all of this. Please help me. I am relatively new, and apache test page works, but nothing else comes up. What's wrong here?

 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]