Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch> on 2012/07/05 09:55:00 UTC

[rampart/opensaml] bad artifacts returned causing mvn builds to fail

I am just  struggling to build my project using maven axis2 and rampart
after I cleared out the local .m2/repository cache.

Also the problem explained is discussed as well in
users@maven.apache.org subject:[mvn] bad artifacts returned

The issue is as simple as that:
shibboleth edu has moved theire artifact repository to another placeand
asking for a POM you get HTML back and status  OK (200)

in short you always get htm back what ever you ask for!

The effect becomes visible if you delet your .m2/repository:

And even when you work with a MRM that one is only a mirror.
It might have in a cahe what your asking for.
But once that cache is invalidated (like my m2/repository)
you go to your MRM and from there to maven central
and you will be redirected through transitive dependencies
to the place called shibbolet

you can not expect that project builds correctly unless you already have
all artifacts in your local cache .m2/repository
which is the case for my PC (so projects build there)= but not for my
other machine.

AS LONG AS a repository with a <url> to shibbolte is defined in one of
your poms as long you will have problem.
-	be it a direct dependency or indirect, transitive dependencies

AFAIK: the following 2 artifacts are afected -lead to problems artifact

org/apache/rampart/rampart-project/1.6.2/rampart-project-1.6.1.*

    <repositories>
        <repository>
            <releases>
                <enabled>true</enabled>
                <updatePolicy>always</updatePolicy>
                <checksumPolicy>warn</checksumPolicy>
            </releases>
            <snapshots>
                <enabled>true</enabled>
                <updatePolicy>never</updatePolicy>
                <checksumPolicy>warn</checksumPolicy>
            </snapshots>
            <id>open-saml</id>
            <name>OpenSAML</name>
            <url>http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/downloads/maven2/</url>
        </repository>

    </repositories>

And org/opensaml/opensaml/2.2.3/opensaml-2.2.3.*
has a reference to this bad behaving server as well

   <repositories>
        <repository>
            <id>shibboleth.internet2.edu</id>
            <name>Internet2</name>
            <layout>default</layout>
            <url>http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/downloads/maven2</url>
            <snapshots>
                <enabled>false</enabled>
            </snapshots>
        </repository>
    </repositories>

true for axis2-1.6.2 as well!

The server at shibbolet behaves bad
because if I ask a server for a pom
I do not want a html back with status code OK!

Just try the following for an artifac you may need sooner than later;:
http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/downloads/maven2/org/apache/xalan/xalan/
2.7.1/xalan-2.7.1.pom

and there where many more artifacs at shibboleth

Josef

Re: [rampart/opensaml] bad artifacts returned causing mvn builds to fail

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
We cannot change versions that have already been released. Therefore
the change is currently only available in trunk. Note that only
Rampart has this issue. Axis2 is unaffected.

Andreas

AW: [rampart/opensaml] bad artifacts returned causing mvn builds to fail

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
Thank you very much Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.