Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Malcolm Gorman <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/12 07:28:24 UTC

A directory checksum error on media; 1 not equal to 32432.

I downloaded geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.2-bin.tar.gz

Linux/Mac OS X/Unix Downloads 	Geronimo 2.1.2 with Tomcat 6 (tar.gz)

to my AIX server and confirmed that the md5 checksum is correct.

In gunzip-ed the file. But when I un-tar-ed the tar file, I got an error:

A directory checksum error on media; 1 not equal to 32432.

Is the tar file correct at the source?

Regards, Mal.

Re: A directory checksum error on media; 1 not equal to 32432.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Aug 12, 2008, at 7:07 PM, Malcolm Gorman wrote:

> I downloaded:
>
> geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.2-bin.zip
>
> checked the md5, and it unzipped okay.
>
> My only concern is that it is labeled on the download page:
>
> http://geronimo.apache.org/apache-geronimo-v212-release.html
>
> as a Windows Download.
>
> I'm installing it on AIX, and probably Linux. Does the Windows
> Download
> have all the same contents as the Linux/Mac OS X/Unix Download?

I think there are a few human-readable files with different line
endings.  All the code is the same.

The tar problem is with the length of the paths of files inside the
tar, not the length of the tar.gz filename itself.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Malcolm Gorman <ma...@gmail.com>.
I downloaded:

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Malcolm Gorman <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Johannes.

I think I'm having a strange week. Renaming the tar file was on a par with
the old joke about sending a photocopy of a floppy disk.

The zip file unzipped without error.

Mal.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Johannes,
> Thanks for pointing this out. Mal's error message looked different (because
> it's AIX, perhaps?). So, we may have gotten distracted. Or perhaps there is
> an issue with tar on AIX... Donald, have you tried untarring on AIX?

Like David Jencks mentioned, use GNU tar on AIX (or other platforms).
We generate the .tar.gz file in GNU file format to support long file
names.

> The "long zero block" error messages can be ignored. There's a Maven bug --
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-302  (I believe) which causes
> these. We should put a note about this on our Download site.
>
> As far as I know, there's no content difference between our tar.gz and zip
> formats. We used to change EOL-characters depending on the archive format. I
> don't believe we do this any longer.

I guess then we should change our download page to indicate different
file formats instead of different platforms.

Jarek

Re: A directory checksum error on media; 1 not equal to 32432.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Yep, I ran into this issue long ago on AIX, which is due to the
filenames in the TAR, not the tar filename.

-Donald

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Johannes Weberhofer, Weberhofer GmbH" <of...@weberhofer.at>.

--

Re: A directory checksum error on media; 1 not equal to 32432.

Posted by Malcolm Gorman <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.