Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Gregg L. Smith" <li...@glewis.com> on 2009/09/01 21:38:54 UTC

Re: svn commit: r808965 - signature spam and an existing restriction

Hi Devs,

A vote of mine does not count but I think I am leaning on a -1 here for
a couple reasons.

1. in ap_release.h you have placed a restriction on just this sort of thing;

  * "Product tokens should be short and to the point -- use of them for
  * advertizing or other non-essential information is explicitly forbidden."

Granted, if someone wanted to, there is not much you can really do about
it. What I might find as useful information you might just as well deem
non-essential. BTW, advertising and essential are misspelled. Does
handing the user a set of keys to do just this now negate this
restriction or if it is still of concern, should this be added into the
docs?

2. with mod_security this can already be done with the use of the
SecServerSignature directive.
http://www.modsecurity.org/documentation/modsecurity-apache/2.5.9/modsecurity2-apache-reference.html#N10B69

3. Not that Netcraft is a scientifically sound survey, I'd still hate to
see Apache jump off the cliff.

Just a sampling of random thoughts I had when I saw this.

Regards,
Gregg