Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "Dag H. Wanvik" <da...@oracle.com> on 2012/08/04 01:43:29 UTC

Re: Derby on NAS = corruption ?

Mo Maison <mo...@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have read the referenced thread with great interest,
> and I have a related question.
>
> If we replace NAS with SAN (SAN is basically a remote
> block device).
> If a single server mounts the SAN partition, and a single
> derby server is run on this server, I guess we shouldn't
> encounter any trouble, should we ?

Derby uses a write-ahead log to guarantee that committed transactions
are persisted. If the log device is on the network storage, you need a
guarantee that the log write operations are actually
persisted. Similarly, for safe operation one needs to disable disk
cache in the operating system for the log device.

Cf. http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.9/adminguide/cadmindbintegrity.html

Dag