Posted to user@struts.apache.org by ajay brar <aj...@hotmail.com> on 2003/11/26 11:03:22 UTC

ui generation

hi!

What i am trying to do is allow a user to create a personalized web
interface.
he should as such be able to select layouts, choose what goes where, colours
etc and in the end it should generate a html page for him.

my questions are:
1> is it possible for me to generate a jsp page using struts tags, feed that
to a parser and get the resulting html, like what would happen if i made a
regular jsp/struts page and then a user clicks on it, and the page is
processed and html spewed to the user's browser. How do i make that happen
from within a page. ie, in one page a user selects all these layouts etc and
clicks some generate button and a file with the resulting html gets stored
somewhere on the server which the user can then download.

2> can i dynamically write a tile definitions.xml, depending on the layout
and the components chosen and have that fed to the parser from q1.

thanks for any help

cheers
Ajay

Re: ui generation

Posted by James Neville <ja...@babcockbrown.com>.
Ajay,

> he should as such be able to select layouts, choose what goes where,
> colours etc and in the end it should generate a html page for him.

We're doing something pretty similar here, but not using the Tiles stuff
(for now anyway).
Basically, we have user selectable themes, which write the appropriate
css file to the page.
There are *some* user definable colours, fonts etc, the values of which
are pulled from the DB on login, stored in the session, and written to
the page as styles that override the default, or user selected css theme
file.

> my questions are:
> 1> is it possible for me to generate a jsp page using struts tags,
> feed that to a parser and get the resulting html, like what would
> happen if i made a regular jsp/struts page and then a user clicks on
> it, and the page is processed and html spewed to the user's browser.
> How do i make that happen from within a page. ie, in one page a user
> selects all these layouts etc and clicks some generate button and a
> file with the resulting html gets stored somewhere on the server which
> the user can then download.

I'd assume that you would want a variety of layouts such as
top/left/right navigation, one/two/three column body etc.

We do something similar where a user has selectable templates for layout
as well as the themes.
We simply have jsps for each template, and dependant on the user
requesting the page the Action redirects to the appropriate template.
At the moment, most of the relevant content is split into smaller jsp
fragments, and incuded on the template pages, so that we don't need to
rewrite the view in multiple places.
We also intend to have customisable content (a-la Yahoo portal), where
the template simply checks which content is required for the user,  and
includes the relevant page fragments where necessary.........

> 2> can i dynamically write a tile definitions.xml, depending on the
> layout and the components chosen and have that fed to the parser from q1.

....... i'm also keen to know whether we can do something like this with
Tiles, but I have no experience of using them just yet.
Has anyone else has success doing custom UI generation with Tiles,
possibly pulling the layout definition from a DB?

There surely must be something that does this out of the box already, no?

Cheers,
James