Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tim Fox <ti...@blueheath.com> on 2002/02/14 14:23:19 UTC

redirecting from http -> https

I want to redirect anyone using an http:// url to the equivalent https://
url on my site.

Eg http://www.acme.com/somedir/foo.htm ->
https://www.acme.com/somedir/foo.htm

I've tried the Redirect declaration

Redirect http://www.acme.com/ https://www.acme.com

but that seems to do nothing.

Any ideas?

I guess this is a common thing to want to do.

Re: redirecting from http -> https

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Tim Fox wrote:

> Redirect /somedir https://www.acme.com/somedir/
>
> This seems to end up in a recursive loop -which makes sense since
> https://www.acme.com/somedir matches /somedir.

Where did you put the Redirect? It goes in the HTTP-VH, not in the
SSL_VH... Something like (cribbed from NickM's earlier answer):

<VirtualHost 12.34.56.78:443>
  ServerName myvirtual.domain
  SSLEngine on
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost _default_:80>
  Redirect / https://myvirtual.domain
</VirtualHost>

This redirect will never be seen by a request on port 443 so should
never cause a loop.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

> > didn't you see the question and answer on the list about two hours ago
> > on this very point?
>
> No, because I only joined the list about 15 minutes ago, in order to ask the
> question.

Remarkable! It is actually quite amazing how often questions tend to be
clustered like this... Oh, and the other Q&A was on the mod_ssl list...

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modssl&m=101367928502889&w=2

Sorry!

Re: starting mutliple apache server

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Santosh Deshpande wrote:

> Thanx owen. I will try it restarting it in the evening as it is our live
> server.
> But I am pretty sure that there were no 'httpd' or other processes using the
> port 443.

Try "netstat -a | grep 443" just to see (I'm not sure if a zombie will
show up, however...)

RE: starting mutliple apache server

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.

Posted by Santosh Deshpande <sa...@office.sourceree.com>.
yes that was a typo. It should be read as 'Listen 10.20.30.2:80' for second
VH.

Actually, it is working fine if I define both the VH in a single file and
startup a single daemon.
But when I try to one for each ( two separate conf files ) the second httpd
(with ssl) does not seem to start.
Unfortunately, the SSL logging is not on. But the apache error_log has the
following message.

  [ Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 10.20.30.1
port 443 ]

Here is some additional info:

All the SSL directives are in place

bash$ ./httpd -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)
Server built:   May 17 2001 17:30:42 ;

bash$ ./httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_ssl.c

Santosh

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.

Posted by Santosh Deshpande <sa...@office.sourceree.com>.
As I mentioned earlier, port 443 is NOT busy.
What are the implications of using non default port?
Do I have to use the port number in the URL?

1)check if port 443 is busy using netstat -a | grep 443
2) try changing the ssl port

   I would like to start two 'Apache servers instances' on a single machine.
   One is to use SSL and the other without SSL. But unfortunately, I can not
start the SSL enabled Apache.

   Here is how the server/conf file looks like.

  Server: RHLinux, has 2 IP address  ( 10.20.30.1 and 10.20.30.2 )

  httpd-ssl.conf :

  Listen 10.20.30.1:443
  NameVirtuaHost 10.20.30.1:443
  <VirtualHost 10.20.30.1:443>
   ServerName www.mydmain.com
  </VirtualHost>

  httpd-nossl.conf :

  Listen 10.20.30.1:80
  NameVirtuaHost 10.20.30.2:80
  <VirtualHost 10.20.30.2:80>
   ServerName  dtd.mydmain.com
  </VirtualHost>

   Startup scripts:
      daemon  /usr/sbin/httpd  -f
/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd-ssl/httpd-ssl.conf -D SSL
      daemon  /usr/sbin/httpd  -f
/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd-nossl/httpd-nossl.conf

    With this I can get only the httpd without SSL working.  I can not start
the httpd with SSL.
    It comes up with errors
    { [Thu Feb 14 12:35:13 2002] [crit] (98)Address already in use:
make_sock: could not bind to address 10.20.30.1
          port443 ]} though  there is nothing happening on 443.

   ----------------------------------

   Additional Info:
   1.  With a single file that includes both the vhost (httpd.conf), it
works.
     ( I can access www.mydmain.com securely while dtd.mydmain.com in the
non secure way)
   2. The httpd.conf is in default location and I use  'apachectl  startssl'
to startup.
   3. DocumentRoot/ Log destinations are specified correctly ( absolute
path)

  appreciate your help.

Santosh

RE: starting mutliple apache server

Posted by Milind Sawant <mi...@skandiabank.ch>.
I have used this option with apache 1.3.19 and it works fine.

Posted by Santosh Deshpande <sa...@office.sourceree.com>.

Posted by Milind Sawant <mi...@skandiabank.ch>.

Posted by Tim Fox <ti...@blueheath.com>.
It seems that is my solution.
Thanks for your help.

Posted by "Kevin M. Shortt" <sh...@cgicafe.com>.

Posted by Tim Fox <ti...@blueheath.com>.
I don't have any virtual hosts, I only have one DocumentRoot, and I want to
force SSL across the site.
I have no need of 2 docroots since I only have one set of documents that I
want to be served over HTTPS everytime.
I do not want these documents to be ever served over HTTP.
The idea is that if the user attempts to access any of the resources on HTTP
they will be redirected to the same resource but over the HTTPS protocol.
Are you suggesting I need to make 2 copies of my web site and put it in
virtual servers for this to work?

Posted by "Kevin M. Shortt" <sh...@cgicafe.com>.

Posted by Tim Fox <ti...@blueheath.com>.

I tried that - it ended up in a recursive loop.
Specifically I tried:

Redirect /somedir https://www.acme.com/somedir/

This seems to end up in a recursive loop -which makes sense since
https://www.acme.com/somedir matches /somedir.

I have also tried:

Redirect / https://www.acme.com/

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Tim Fox wrote:

> I want to redirect anyone using an http:// url to the equivalent https://
> url on my site.
>
> Eg http://www.acme.com/somedir/foo.htm ->
> https://www.acme.com/somedir/foo.htm
>
> I've tried the Redirect declaration
>
> Redirect http://www.acme.com/ https://www.acme.com

Read more carefully the note on "Redirect" - it takes a local path
relative to the docroot as its first argument, not a full URL. Also,