Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by "Basu, Aakash" <aa...@capgemini.com> on 2016/07/04 09:56:32 UTC

Clarification on Automation of Jobs

Hi team NiFi,

Need a little clarification on automating the run for NiFi jobs.

Currently there are three ways of automating jobs in NiFi, i.e., Time Driven, Event Driven and CRON Driven.

i)              Time Driven - I've set Time driven in the following way,

[cid:image001.png@01D1D5FD.9ED841F0]

But it still doesn't work, for testing the working of this scheduling strategy, we checked with 30 secs. But it still didn't start at all.

ii)            Event Driven - Since it is still in the experimentation phase, as described by the NiFi community, so, we're avoiding to use this strategy for the business.

iii)           CRON Driven - Can we get a little explanation of the CRON driven strategy, I've gone through the little description available on internet, but we need to know the working from end to end.

A question: Should the processors be kept running for the jobs to work? Won't they automatically switch on and work as per the scheduling?

Some insight on this would help!

Thanks & Regards,
[Email_CBE.gif]Aakash Basu
Software Engineer | Insights & Data - Big Data COE
aakash.basu@capgemini.com<ma...@capgemini.com>
Capgemini India | Bangalore
Mob.: +91 98743 60170 | Tel: +91 80 6656 7000 Ext: 8043526
www.capgemini.com<http://www.capgemini.com/>
People matter, results count.
7Switch off as you go |qRecycle always | PPrint only if absolutely necessary

Re: Clarification on Automation of Jobs

Posted by Matthew Clarke <ma...@gmail.com>.
The scheduling strategy dictates when the processor should trigger. For any
of the scheduling strategies to work, the processor must be running. The
purpose of the scheduling strategy is not to change the state of the
processor from stopped to started and back. It controls the behavior of a
running processor.

Timer driven --> this strategy will run the processor immediately when it's
state is changed from stop to start. It will then trigger to run at the
configured interval (30 secs in your example).

Event driven --> Not all processor support this scheduling strategy.
Rather then a processor running on an interval, the NiFi controller
triggers the processor to run based on whether or not the feeding
connection to that processor have any FlowFiles queued in them.

From driven --> this strategy given the user a to define a very specific
run schedule. For example run at 2 am every Wednesday only.

Matt