Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/01 17:59:04 UTC

Re: basic security review

Yes, that's a good idea. Also, excellent work with reviewing the
LoginModules and adding tests!!!

I just added two new LoginModules to look at. I'm particularly
concerned about CertificateChainLoginModule since it always returns
true in its login() function. But I'm not exactly sure how this is
being used.

Jarek

Re: basic security review

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 1, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> Yes, that's a good idea. Also, excellent work with reviewing the
> LoginModules and adding tests!!!
>
> I just added two new LoginModules to look at. I'm particularly
> concerned about CertificateChainLoginModule since it always returns
> true in its login() function. But I'm not exactly sure how this is
> being used.
The CertificateChainLoginModule probably isn't much good in real life
at this point.  My thinking was that if we've set up an SSL
connection with a client certificate, that means the SSL machinery
has already verified that the client certificate is valid according
to the CA's we know about, and we aren't going to get much more
definitive about someone's identity than that.  The real problem is
that in order for this user to do anything we have to assign
application level roles to them individually since there is no
associated concept of "enterprise roles" or "groups".  In our current
system this is a major inconvenience.  I'm not sure it's worth
actually fixing it since we'd get into providing a whole lot of
identity>> enterprise role >> application role stores (properties
file, sql, ldap, ....).  This kind of mapping is one of the big
things I want triplesec to support in an easy-to-use-way.

thanks
david jencks