Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/19 18:05:21 UTC

[ALL] uploading releases to dist/commons and/or SVN

Commons is currently still publishing mon-Maven releases from
people.a.o dist/commons.

There is an outstanding JIRA issue for this to be changed to svnpubsub:

Until this is implemented, it is vital that the dist SVN and people
directories are kept in sync at all times.

We don't know exactly when this will happen, so please ensure that the
SVN directory is always updated at the same time as people.a.o;
ideally do SVN first and then people.

When svnpubsub is implemented, files uploaded to the SVN release
directory will be immediately published to the ASF mirror system.

At that point it will no longer be possible to change files directly
on people.a.o; all files must be uploaded via SVN only.

However, it will still take a day or two for the external mirrors to catch up.
So it's best not to remove the previous release until a few days have elapsed.

Thanks.

Re: [ALL] uploading releases to dist/commons and/or SVN

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2013-03-22, sebb wrote:
>
> > On 19 March 2013 17:05, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Commons is currently still publishing mon-Maven releases from
> >> people.a.o dist/commons.
>
> >> There is an outstanding JIRA issue for this to be changed to svnpubsub:
>
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5929
>
> >> Until this is implemented, it is vital that the dist SVN and people
> >> directories are kept in sync at all times.
>
> > The JIRA has now been completed - it is no longer possible to write
> > directly to dist/commons on people.a.o.
>
> I'm in the process of publishing a change to the "preparing a release"
> doc where it talks about putting the KEYS file into that area.
>
> My current plan is to finally document the release process this weekend
> and I'll cover the new publishing process via svn.

Great, thank you!

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [ALL] uploading releases to dist/commons and/or SVN

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-03-22, sebb wrote:

> I don't know whether you want to mention the dist/dev tree - that can
> be used for staging releases instead of a user's home directory.

Yes, that's what we do in Ant and I wanted to mirror that experience.
I'm not sure where I'd recommend to put the staging website, though.

Stefan

Re: [ALL] uploading releases to dist/commons and/or SVN

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 22 March 2013 14:24, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I'm in the process of publishing a change to the "preparing a release"
>> > doc where it talks about putting the KEYS file into that area.
>> >
>> > My current plan is to finally document the release process this weekend
>> > and I'll cover the new publishing process via svn.
>>
>> Great!
>>
>> I don't know whether you want to mention the dist/dev tree - that can
>> be used for staging releases instead of a user's home directory.
>> The files can then be moved in SVN to the release tree if the vote
>> succeeds or deleted otherwise.
>>

> Hi,
>
> If you a svn move, that will delete the source, right? So do you mean a one
> 'move' operation or a split 'copy' and 'delete'.

Which ever you prefer; I think SVN implements move as copy/delete anyway.

In either case SVN history will show that the release tree files came
from a specific revision of the dev tree - which is all that matters.

Ideally the move/copy should be done as a single commit (easier to follow).
However I think that can only be done with svnmucc.
I don't think SVN can do a merge of the contents of a directory to an
existing targe directory.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.