Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by in...@bureau-de-poste.net on 2020/10/04 06:46:58 UTC

A question about running Tomcat alongside of Apache or NginX

  Hello All,

I have a general question about installing and running OM on an
existing server serving web pages with Apache or NginX server. Does
this type of congiruataion cause any known problems for OM? ( For
example having apache or NginX running - could that possible cause a
part of OM to go down, when it wouldn't have if OM had been installed
on a stand alone server. I don't mean because of not enough resources
available.)?

We have some existing web servers running apache 2.4 or NginX latest
which have a lot of free resources, and I have installed OM on them
and it appears to run fine alongside the web sites we server with
Apache or NginX. Once I had coturn stop unexpectedly, but couldn't
determine why.

In any case, can anyone point out any obvious problems or potential
pitfalls to this approach? It has advantages (such as the automatic
creation and renewal of Let's Encrypt certificates (with open source
hosting management panels), hosting a moodle site - or other website
to sell managed OM servies, for example - alongside the OM site, cost,
resource and time savings,  etc.

Thanks for any heads up on this approach.

Best,

Ed

Re: A question about running Tomcat alongside of Apache or NginX

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
All 3 demo servers are using Apache HTTPD as front end proxy
The only advantages I can see are
- automatic certificate renewal
- other sites services can be served by this Apache server

--
Best regards,
Maxim