Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com> on 2002/03/14 09:59:50 UTC

development status

(as a guess I would say you haven't beed subscribed long enough :)

There was a notice of this a number of months ago. Admittedly we have it
the other way around. Maintenance releases are made from a branch. So the
main branch is where the active development is happening.

So where are we:
I am going to great lengths to describe how it all works so others will
have the knowledge to help out.
Many others are helping with ideas and requirements.
Not much code is getting done because people are busy and the issues are
complex (many of the side issues are being dealt with)
The maintenance branch is being updated for bugs etc.

I am hoping people will get to a point where they feel ready to jump in.

So what needs to be done:
Finish the implementation of the line layout
do the page layout
then do all fo's
handle other issues
then hopefully we will be ready for a developers release (version number
yet to be decided)

Re: development status

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >Don't get me wrong, maybe I don't understand something, but still I'm
very
> >puzzled.
> >
> Nicola,
>
> Your criticism here distresses me somewhat.  How is anyone without
> commit access able to branch the code?  I have been active on this list
> for twelve months or more, so your not knowing of my effort reflects the
> fact that you have recently joined.

Sorry, I didn't know.
I still think that it's strange that the redesign effort is done outside of
FOP CVS, but now it's clear to me that you didn't have another possibility.
It's some month's I've been on this list, and my longer experience on other
lists made me wonder about the current status of FOP. I thank you for taking
your time to explain.

Since I would like to give a hand if possible, could you please give me
insight on how you've redesigned the framework, or some reference to
available material?
It would be great.

Thank you :-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: development status

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>From: "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>
>
>>There is very active development on FO Tree building, property
>>resolution and layout models.  A lot of that development is desisn
>>speculation, such as the design notes I have been posting, and there is
>>also a fair bit of code, all of which resides with my ISP, references to
>>which I post every now and then.
>>

>I don't like what I think is happening.
>The FOP community is here, what does your ISP have to do with it?
>
>You have the *right* to branch and continue parallel development here. This
>is how it should be done. If not, it's not a FOP effort, it's your personal
>game.

>IMHO it's not necessary, but you have more experience than me on this.
>
>The fact that I didn't even know of your effort, and still don't know where
>the code is disturbes me somewhat.
>We are talking about having to depend on iText, but it seems to me that your
>effort is not different in this regard.
>
>Don't get me wrong, maybe I don't understand something, but still I'm very
>puzzled.

Nicola,

Your criticism here distresses me somewhat.  How is anyone without
commit access able to branch the code?  I have been active on this list
for twelve months or more, so your not knowing of my effort reflects the
fact that you have recently joined.

Peter

Re: development status

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On 2002.03.15 08:27 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> I think that the FOP community needs an explanation of my intrusion.
> I am a committer on the POI, Cocoon and Forrest projects, and a happy
> user
> of FOP for work.
> I wrote an XML semantic WYSIWYG editor in java that uses Avalon and
> specifies style with formatting objects, so I read the FO spec fully at
> least 3 times ;-)
> I've been following the FOP evolution with great interest, and now I
> would
> like to actively partecipate to this new FOP redesign.
>
> Expect a RT from me very soon on a the FOP-NG architecture based on
> Avalon I
> have in mind :-)

I welcome your help (and I am sure others do too).

The are certainly a number areas that need improvement such as the
configuration.

Re: development status

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>From: "Arved Sandstrom" <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>

> I read the FO spec fully at
>least 3 times ;-)

Impossible!

Peter

Re: development status

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Arved Sandstrom" <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>

> You're 100% right - Apache XML is not just about Java. But programming
> language is not the reason xslfo-proc is not a sideproject to FOP. It is
all
> about community. If this codebase was side-by-side with FOP right now it
> would be a distraction at best. It would (possibly) divert resources from
> FOP rather than independently develop its own. That's not just my opinion;
> there have been discussions about alternate implementations before and I
> think there is a consensus that we don't diffuse the FOP effort at this
> time. But there is also no rule that any of us XSL enthusiasts cannot
pursue
> parallel experiments, and that is what xslfo-proc is for me.

I understand your point of view and I respect it.
Since I didn't follow the discussions you refer to, I remain with what you
refer that the FOP community has decided; it makes sense and it is based on
the good life of the community.

Now FOP AFAIK wants to be based on SAX, iText offered to collaborate
closely, and there are indipendedt efforts of defining a new FOP codebase.
Keiron is doing an *awesome* job in explaining what FOP is all about, and
many developers are willing to take part.
Everything is ready for a project boost ;-)

RE: development status

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
Comments below.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>

Re: development status

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Keiron,

You have pre-empted my last post on this topic.

Keiron Liddle wrote:

> On 2002.03.14 10:55 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Ok, nice. This seems more like evolution than revolution, am I right?
>

> You could say that.
> The code is forming a revolution, not the people. We needed to go back
> a bit and approach things from a different angle.
>
>> Are there any projects underway to change the processing model?
>

> I'm not sure exactly what you mean but there are probably no projects
> as such. Peter is looking at alternatives.
>
>> How about the new property resolving proposal.
>

> No active development that I am aware of. Maybe Peter can elaborate.

There is very active development on FO Tree building, property
resolution and layout models.  A lot of that development is desisn
speculation, such as the design notes I have been posting, and there is
also a fair bit of code, all of which resides with my ISP, references to
which I post every now and then.  Arved is, as you know, engaged in a
C/C++ project for a fast, small footprint FO Processor over at
SourceForge, and I copy all of my design discussions to him.  He has
just committed another set of perl modules to his prototype.  The

Re: development status

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.

Re: development status

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Nicola,

Comments interspersed.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>From: "Keiron Liddle" <ke...@aftexsw.com>
>
>>There was a notice of this a number of months ago. Admittedly we have it
>>the other way around. Maintenance releases are made from a branch. So the
>>main branch is where the active development is happening.
>>

>Ok. Makes sense since the community has common views.

I suppose that depends on how you define "community".

>>So where are we:
>>I am going to great lengths to describe how it all works so others will
>>have the knowledge to help out.
>>

>I've seen it and it's very very well done.
>My sincere compliments :-)

Yes, that was a good idea.

>>Many others are helping with ideas and requirements.
>>Not much code is getting done because people are busy and the issues are
>>complex (many of the side issues are being dealt with)
>>The maintenance branch is being updated for bugs etc.
>>
>>I am hoping people will get to a point where they feel ready to jump in.
>>
>>So what needs to be done:
>>Finish the implementation of the line layout
>>do the page layout
>>then do all fo's
>>handle other issues
>>then hopefully we will be ready for a developers release (version number
>>yet to be decided)
>>

>Ok, nice. This seems more like evolution than revolution, am I right?
>Are there any projects underway to change the processing model?
>How about the new property resolving proposal.
>
>Sorry if I keep asking, but I got a bit confused reading some mails on the
>list.

I made an attempt to explain this recently.  Maybe Keiron can try.  Keiron?

Peter

Re: development status

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Keiron Liddle" <ke...@aftexsw.com>

> (as a guess I would say you haven't beed subscribed long enough :)

;-)

> There was a notice of this a number of months ago. Admittedly we have it
> the other way around. Maintenance releases are made from a branch. So the
> main branch is where the active development is happening.

Ok. Makes sense since the community has common views.

> So where are we:
> I am going to great lengths to describe how it all works so others will
> have the knowledge to help out.

I've seen it and it's very very well done.
My sincere compliments :-)

> Many others are helping with ideas and requirements.
> Not much code is getting done because people are busy and the issues are
> complex (many of the side issues are being dealt with)
> The maintenance branch is being updated for bugs etc.

Ok.