Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2003/09/10 11:37:04 UTC

JavaCC woes (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Add Lucene Distribution To Mirrors)

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 06:02  PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> What do you think about a 1.3 release?
> I think we should resolve the JavaCC situation and them make the 1.3
> release.  Perhaps it would be best to include JavaCC-generated .java
> files in the CVS, as Doug described the other day.
>
> Those .java files should probably be generated with the latest version
> of JavaCC, which means that Eric Isakson may be able to generate those.
> Eric, could you do that, please?

I have upgraded to JavaCC 3.2.  This required that I rebuild the latest
codebase of Ant as well, as changes were made to accommodate the ever
shifting package names of JavaCC under the covers of <javacc>.

I have modified my local build file, removed the javacc_check target
from dependencies, and put the generated files into the src/java tree
appropriately.

The problem I'm now having is this:

     [javac]
/Users/erik/dev/jakarta/jakarta-lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/
analysis/standard/StandardTokenizer.java:26: next() in
org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.StandardTokenizer cannot override
next() in org.apache.lucene.analysis.TokenStream; overridden method
does not throw org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.ParseException
     [javac]   final public org.apache.lucene.analysis.Token next()
throws ParseException, IOException {
     [javac]                                                 ^
     [javac] 1 error

It is generating a throws clause on the implementation of
TokenStream.next() which is invalid.

The build previously deleted the ParseException .java file between the
two calls to <javacc>, but this doesn't seem like the problem.  Any
JavaCC knowledgeable folks know what is going on here and how I can
resolve this?

Once this is resolved, JavaCC won't be needed to build Lucene - I can
check in my generated files.  There will be a target to regenerate the
files upon demand, which will of course require JavaCC.

	Erik