Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Karl Trumstedt <ka...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/16 14:35:13 UTC

Adding web debug feature to include files

Hi,

I'm thinking that it would be a nice debug feature in myfaces when in
development mode if myfaces automatically could append the filename of
include files as an html comment.

We have large pages with many small includes, and when looking at the page
it would be nice to be able to use the browser development tools to quickly
inspect the html code and see which file this chunk of HTML comes from.
Instead of having to back track through XHTML pages and templates just to
locate the correct include file.

Would this be possible? Any idea where in the code I should begin to look
to implement this?

Re: Adding web debug feature to include files

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I think it is possible. To do that, you can take a look at the class
org.apache.myfaces.view.facelets.compiler.CompilationManager method
pushTag(Tag orig).

The idea is SAXCompiler parses the xml file and use CompilationManager
to create a set of instructions that later will be used to create the
facelet abstract syntax tree (AST), which is a hierarchy of facelet
tags that later generate a JSF component tree. In this point you can
detect when a ui:include or ui:decorate or ui:composition is used and
add the comment, adding a new TextUnit and calling writeComment(...)
method. Probably you should need to add some code on
org.apache.myfaces.view.facelets.compiler.Compiler class and
org.apache.myfaces.view.facelets.compiler.loadOptions(...) method to
include the config param, just look how "facelets skip comments"
parameter is defined and follow the pattern.

If you provide a patch I can take a look at it, and if it is ok, I'll
commit it for 2.2.x branch. Please create an issue of this improvement
in:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES

regards,

Leonardo Uribe