Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by "Louton, Carl O." <cl...@mitre.org> on 2011/11/22 16:58:05 UTC

Problems accessing rave externally

Hello,

When I deploy and startup Rave 0.6, I can access it just fine from the workstation that I run it on (http://locahost:8080/portal), but it does not fully function when I access it from another machine (http://hostname:8080/portal). The portal loads and I can login, but none of the default widgets load and most of the interface is non-responsive.

I am behind an http proxy, though I have already altered my Tomcat startup.bat script to apply the proxy. The widgets do load external content properly when accessed locally.

I have also tried following the instructions for setting a hostname, but the webapp doesn't fully start up when I have this in place (I have pasted the log output I get below). I made copies of the portal.properties, container.js, and rave-shinding.properties files. I placed them all in a separate directory, change, then altered my startup.bat script to set system properties to point to them.

Thanks

Carl Louton
E543 - HIS, Visualization & Decision Support
The MITRE Corp.
781-271-5231

Nov 22, 2011 10:44:40 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
Nov 22, 2011 10:44:41 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Invalid bean definition with name 'dataSource' defined in URL [jar:file:/C:/Users/clouton/Documents/Projects/EP&R%20Viz/Rave/raveDeploy/apache-rave-0.6-incubating-SNAPSHOT/webapps/portal/WEB-INF/lib/rave-core-0.6-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar!/org/apache/rave/core-applicationContext.xml]: Could not resolve placeholder 'rave.database.location'
                at org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer.processProperties(PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer.java:287)
                at org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyResourceConfigurer.postProcessBeanFactory(PropertyResourceConfigurer.java:75)
                at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.invokeBeanFactoryPostProcessors(AbstractApplicationContext.java:663)
                at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.invokeBeanFactoryPostProcessors(AbstractApplicationContext.java:638)
                at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:407)
                at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.createWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:276)
                at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:197)
                at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:47)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4205)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4704)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:799)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:779)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:601)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:943)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:778)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:504)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1315)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:324)
                at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:142)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1061)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:840)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:463)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:525)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:754)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)

Nov 22, 2011 10:44:41 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext
Nov 22, 2011 10:44:41 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
Nov 22, 2011 10:44:43 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.apache.rave.inject.GuiceBindingSpringContextLoaderListener
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Invalid bean definition with name 'dataSource' defined in class path resource [rave-shindig-applicationContext.xml]: Could not resolve placeholder 'rave.database.location'
[...]
                at org.apache.rave.inject.GuiceBindingSpringContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(GuiceBindingSpringContextLoaderListener.java:41)
[...]

Nov 22, 2011 10:44:43 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext

RE: Problems accessing rave externally

Posted by "Louton, Carl O." <cl...@mitre.org>.
Hi,

The requests are indeed going to localhost instead of the hostname.

As I stated, I tried following the instructions for overriding the hostname for the open social container. When I set the system properties  that override the location of my new copy of portal.properties and rave-shinding.properties, I get the Exceptions about the database location. If I don't set the override properties, the database is created correctly in the location that is specified in the root pom file (and no database location exception). I'm setting the properties by specifying parameters to the JAVA_OPTS variable in my startup.bat file, like this:

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dportal.override.properties="C:\rave\override.properties" -Drave-shindig.override.properties="C:\rave\override.rave.shindig.properties"

In my override.properties file, the change I made was to "portal.opensocial_engine.root", which I set to my hostname:8080
In my override.rave.shinding.properties file
	 I set "shinding.host" to my hostname,
	I set "shindig.containers.default" to "C:\rave\override.container.js"
	I set "shindig.signing.global-callback-url" to "http://hostname:8080/gadgets/oauthcallback"

In my override.container.js,
	I set "gadgets.features" to
	"gadgets.features" : {
  "core.io" : {
    // Note: /proxy is an open proxy. Be careful how you expose this!
    // Note: Here // is replaced with the current protocol http/https
   //"proxyUrl" : "//%host%${CONTEXT_ROOT}/gadgets/proxy?container=%container%%rewriteMime%&refresh=%refresh%&gadget=%gadget%/%rawurl%",
    "proxyUrl" : "//%host%${CONTEXT_ROOT}/gadgets/proxy?container=%container%&refresh=%refresh%&url=%url%%rewriteMime%",
    "jsonProxyUrl" : "//%host%${CONTEXT_ROOT}/gadgets/makeRequest"
  },
  "views" : {
    "profile" : {
      "isOnlyVisible" : false,
      "urlTemplate" : "http://hostname${CONTEXT_ROOT}/gadgets/profile?{var}",
      "aliases": ["DASHBOARD", "default"]
    },
    "canvas" : {
      "isOnlyVisible" : true,
      "urlTemplate" : "http://hostname ${CONTEXT_ROOT}/gadgets/canvas?{var}",
      "aliases" : ["FULL_PAGE"]
    }
  },

Posted by "Mahadevan, Venkat" <ve...@mitre.org>.
Hi Carl

I tried the following approach and it seems to be working, so instead of overriding the prop files and setting it in the JAVA_ OPTS like you did, I went ahead and changed the actual property files that had localhost defined in them (ie rave.shindig.properties on rave-shindig and portal.properties on rave-portal-resources) and re-built rave. It seems to be running fine, tested it out from a colleague's machine and I was able to access it and all the widgets were rendering fine.

I wanted to follow a different approach and wanted to see whether changing the actual files would work and it seems to be working. If it is possible try this approach and let me know.

Thanks
Venkat

Posted by "Louton, Carl O." <cl...@mitre.org>.
Okay, I understand now. The override files don't have that property replaced.

I changed the instance of ${rave.database.location} to /tmp/rave_db in my override copies of portal.properties and rave.shinding.properties, and now I can successfully access my Rave externally. Thanks for your help everyone!

In the future, would there be a way to include override files in the build cycle to properly replace that property? Or perhaps a centralized location to alter the hostname?

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by "Louton, Carl O." <cl...@mitre.org>.
Hi Venkat,

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.