Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Jochen Kemnade <jo...@eddyson.de> on 2015/08/12 12:34:28 UTC

Update ASM before 5.4 final?

Hi,

currently, we ship ASM 5.0.1 with plastic, the latest version is 5.0.4:
http://asm.ow2.org/history.html. As the 5.4 release seems to be coming
close (yeah!), I'd like to get that up-to-date.
What's the current way to update the sources? Is it a completely manual
process, as in download the tgz, extract the relevant part from the
archive and sed the package statement?

Jochen

Re: Update ASM before 5.4 final?

Posted by Jochen Kemnade <jo...@eddyson.de>.
Am 13.08.2015 um 13:42 schrieb Lance Java:
> Apart from repackaging... Is there anything special we do with ASM?

Yes, Howard and Thiago have made some minor fixes to the ASM codebase
(Javadoc and toString()) basically, you can view them using

git di
b6ea90f114176f54814483e03c55f943c0fa5595..b65ad362e1d0bacf2f243255ee9b1e45db1c76c0
plastic/src/external/java/

I've re-applied the changes to 5.0.4

> Perhaps we could automate this using jarjar or shadow gradle plugins?

I haven't done something like that yet. Also, I'm not sure if it's worth
the effort, given ASM's fairly slow release cycle. But if someone wants
to get their fingers dirty, go ahead. ;-)

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'd love to automate it, but right now it is just manual.

It would also be nice to analyze which subset of ASM classes we actually
need, and exclude the rest.

I believe I've done this in the past by just copying the sources as is
under plastic/src/external, and then doing a package rename from IntelliJ.
But sed might work just as well.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 4:42 AM, Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Apart from repackaging... Is there anything special we do with ASM?
>
> Perhaps we could automate this using jarjar or shadow gradle plugins?
> On 12 Aug 2015 11:34, "Jochen Kemnade" <jo...@eddyson.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > currently, we ship ASM 5.0.1 with plastic, the latest version is 5.0.4:
> > http://asm.ow2.org/history.html. As the 5.4 release seems to be coming
> > close (yeah!), I'd like to get that up-to-date.
> > What's the current way to update the sources? Is it a completely manual
> > process, as in download the tgz, extract the relevant part from the
> archive
> > and sed the package statement?
> >
> > Jochen

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Looking for Clojure engagements: coding, architecture, mentoring & more!

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com
@hlship