Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Solderitsch <jj...@bellatlantic.net> on 2003/08/01 19:46:40 UTC

Problem with applet in jar file accessed from JSP page in area protected with a security constraint.

The problem occurs under my test environment which is a Mac Powerbook
G4 running OS X 10.2.6 with Java Plug-in 1.4.1_01. I am running tomcat
on this machine.

I am trying to first install and then extend a web application that is
deployed under tomcat 4.1.24.

There is a login based configuration for most of the pages of the site
-- I have <security-contstraint> tags and a <login-config> section in
my applications web.xml file.

My problem is this:

One of the protected pages is a jsp (map.jsp) page that has an applet
tag. This tag references a jar file that is also contained in the same
protected folder (called /protected) as the jsp page.

When I login and access the page with the applet, in my java console I
see the exception:

java.lang.ClassFormatError: com/gestalt/sgs/client/MapAsset (Bad magic
number)
	at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:148)
	at
sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(PluginClassLoader.java:1
68)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:114)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:501)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:574)
	at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:1828)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:503)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:292)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:554)

The applet apparently is never retrieved from the server. I am using
Apple's Safari browser for this test, but the applet also fails to load
using Mozilla 1.4 which uses the 1.4.1 plug-in.

Interesting point 1:

If I access my application from a Windows machine (running XP
Professional with IE and Sun's Java plug-in 1.4.1), the applet DOES
load and the application works.

Interesting point 2:

If I move the applet's jar file and the JSP page containing the applet
tag to another part of application's folder hierarchy, NOT inside the
protected area, and then change the pages that refer to this page to
use the new location, the applet can be invoked from the enclosing page
on my test Powerbook with Safari.

I asked on the Mac Java dev mailing list about this and got some ideas
but no definitive answers.

Anyone with more tomcat experience than I (I have dabbled over the
years but have not done anything recently) care to interpret this
phenomenon.

My applet tag inside of map.jsp looks like:

    <applet
       archive="client.jar"
       code="com.gestalt.sgs.client.MapAsset"
       height=1 width=1>
       <param name="MAP_SET_NAME"
              value="<%= mappingSetName %>">
       <param name="SOURCE"
              value="<%= endPoints [0] %>">
       <param name="DEST"
              value="<%= endPoints [1] %>">
    </applet>

As I said above, the jar file is located in the same folder as the jsp.
All of the pages are part of the folder pattern defined in the tag:

    <security-constraint>
       <web-resource-collection>
          <web-resource-name>SGS Authorized Pages</web-resource-name>
          <!--URL pattern should be relative to the application:-->
          <!--i.e., "/*", not "/HSP/*"-->
          <url-pattern>/protected/*</url-pattern>
       </web-resource-collection>
       <auth-constraint>
          <role-name>user</role-name>
       </auth-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

inside the application's web.xml file.

I would rather not move the problem page and applet to a non-protected
area of my folder hierarchy. But the only way I can get the applet to
load in my development and test environment is to make this re-location.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Jim Solderitsch
jjsban@bellatlantic.net