Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Angus Lees <gu...@switchonline.com.au> on 2001/02/15 03:25:22 UTC

File::Spec 0.82 dependency

INSTALL mentions:

 EmbperlObject needs the following modules to work:
 * File::Spec 0.82 or higher
 (if you have already successfully built and tested mod_perl, all
 modules will already be there.)

why is this version required?

the File::Spec-0.82/CHANGES seems to only list documentation and Mac
support changes.

does the last statement imply that mod_perl also requires
File::Spec >= 0.82 ?

(the debian perl packages only have 0.8, and i'd like to upload
embperl 1.3.1 without having to wait for File::Spec to be updated)

--
 - Gus

Re: File::Spec 0.82 dependency

Posted by barries <ba...@slaysys.com>.
On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 05:40:43AM +0100, Gerald Richter wrote:

> unfortunately the CHANGES file start with 0.82, so I can't exactly say in
> which version is really needed. The Version that comes with Perl 5.005_03
> doesn't work because Embperl requires some new function like splitpath. I
> have tested with 0.82 and it works, to be on the safe side I took this
> version number.

I periodically grab File::Spec out of the perl dist and republish it for
people who need it on older systems.  Usually only at major release
points.  I only started this recently, so the CHANGES file does not
cover anything significant, and it does not include all the various
changes put in by others to the perl dist (it's too hard for me to track
down the commentary in the perl source code repository, since many
changes get submitted on branches and the mainline comments only say
"integrate from branch-so-and-so", basically.

You should be able to install the latest File::Spec v 0.82 from CPAN.

That being said, Gerald's right:

> No, this has nothing todo with mod_perl
> Just ignore the warnings of Makefile:PL and run make test. If make test is
> successfull, 0.8 is also ok. In this case you have to alter Makefile.PL,
> there are two places where the Version of File::Sprec occurs.

- Barrie

Re: File::Spec 0.82 dependency

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> INSTALL mentions:
>
>  EmbperlObject needs the following modules to work:
>  * File::Spec 0.82 or higher
>  (if you have already successfully built and tested mod_perl, all
>  modules will already be there.)

unfortunately the CHANGES file start with 0.82, so I can't exactly say in
which version is really needed. The Version that comes with Perl 5.005_03
doesn't work because Embperl requires some new function like splitpath. I
have tested with 0.82 and it works, to be on the safe side I took this
version number.

> does the last statement imply that mod_perl also requires
> File::Spec >= 0.82 ?

No, this has nothing todo with mod_perl

> (the debian perl packages only have 0.8, and i'd like to upload
> embperl 1.3.1 without having to wait for File::Spec to be updated)

Just ignore the warnings of Makefile:PL and run make test. If make test is
successfull, 0.8 is also ok. In this case you have to alter Makefile.PL,
there are two places where the Version of File::Sprec occurs.

Gerald