Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu> on 2008/12/09 17:21:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Specification for Common, Combined log file formats?

I need to build a gadget to extract information from HTTPD logs.
Various sources (including the Apache HTTPD 2.2 documentations) claim
that at least the Common Log Format is standardized, but I haven't
been able to find the standard itself.  Most of the format is clear,
but I have one burning question:  do I have to worry about quotes
within the three (or, according to some sources, four) quoted fields
of a Combined record?  And if so, how to handle them?

I presume that these three (or four) strings are URL-encoded, but it
would be nice to see a standard which says that this must be so.

Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.