Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ja...@spunkysoftware.com on 2001/08/30 09:46:07 UTC

Installed Tomcat. Now what?

Hi,

I installed Tomcat, and tried the examples. Now what? I have been
programming in Java for a couple of years so I'm OK there, but I want to
know how to write an app with JSP, Servlets and Beans. How? I find the
documentation doesn't help me very much. It's too vague for me.

Can someone write a step by step guide to writing an app for Tomcat? How
about a Hello World app? I don't know XML so I can't write build.xml files
or anything. I'm really stuck.

Can I just write a JSP file and stick it in /webapps and fetch it? With
servlets and Beans too? What is a servlet context? Is that just the document
root? If it's just the document root for the app, why the hell make up new
jargon for it and why not just call it document root of an app? I hate
learning all this jargon. You can spend your life getting really good at
programming or spend your life getting to know all the jargon. It seems
that's the way.

Also, why doesn't this work:

<% response.writeln("Hello World"); %>

James

Re: Installed Tomcat. Now what?

Posted by Catalin Palsu <ca...@quattrosoft.ro>.
Hello,

Go to www.jsptut.com .
You'll get the basic from there.

So I did.
Good luck.
Catalin

Posted by ja...@spunkysoftware.com.
> Questions born
> from a mind make up
> waste breath twice.

Sounds interesting, what does it mean?

RE: Installed Tomcat. Now what?

Posted by Greg Trasuk <st...@on.aibn.com>.
Questions born
from a mind make up
waste breath twice.

Greg Trasuk, President
http://stratuscom.ca

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 james@spunkysoftware.com wrote:
> Can someone write a step by step guide to writing an app for Tomcat? How
> about a Hello World app? I don't know XML so I can't write build.xml files
> or anything. I'm really stuck.

http://java.sun.com/products/servlet is a good place to
start.  essentially tomcat just plays by those rules, so pretty well most
of the questions you're likely to ask will be answered in there

> Can I just write a JSP file and stick it in /webapps and fetch it?
yep, although it needs to be part of a web application (keyword)

> servlets and Beans too? What is a servlet context? Is that just the document
> root? If it's just the document root for the app, why the hell make up new
> jargon for it and why not just call it document root of an app?
(o:  lol... it effectively is the docroot, but you can have more, and it
is certainly more than just the docroot - each web application exists in
its own (servlet) context.  this means that a heap of classloader issues
will be taken care of there.

> learning all this jargon. You can spend your life getting really good at
> programming or spend your life getting to know all the jargon. It seems
> that's the way.
if there were no jargon, what would consultants do for a living (o:  hehe

> Also, why doesn't this work:
>
> <% response.writeln("Hello World"); %>

response is of type HttpServletResponse, which doesn't have a method
called writeln.  the variable "out" however is a PrintWriter which does,
so

<% out.writeln("Hello World"); %>

should work.

hth