Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com> on 1996/04/15 06:13:47 UTC

web-counter module

Digging through old email....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 19:19:23 -0500
From: Brian Kolaci <br...@cmprime.att.com>
To: brian@hyperreal.com
Subject: Re: modules

Brian,

I've uploaded the file "webcounter-1.0.tar.gz" to the
apache/incoming directory.

This implements a web page counter directly in the web server
so that bogus page hits aren't recorded, only actual delivered
pages.  It also uses the GD library to deliver digits as images
to make a snappy looking counter.

It will set environment variables for server side includes,
or just use the counter program included to display the digits
image.

It handles automatic adding of pages to the counter file/database.
The counts may either be stored in ascii files or DBM files.
The reset date is also stored (and is accessible via environment
variable).  A perl script is included to parse, edit, maintain
the counter files.

Two types of sets of files are available, either by directory
or by server.  The directory type file stores the filename
of the selected page, the server file stores it in a URI type
format, but includes a path to the file.  This gives the benefit
of allowing users of virtual domains access to their own counter
file/database.  The webmaster may also keep count on the "/"
directory to see hits on all the pages.  The count available
to scripts and the image counter executable use the server
file first, if available, then the directory file, if available.

All in all, I think it works pretty well.  My customers love
it.  Makes life very easy for them to add counters to their pages.
*And* it allows them to maintain the counter files themselves.

The only section that might not be portable would be the file
locking, however, it uses the same mechanism as the server
itself.  I know it works on Solaris 1 & 2.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Brian
bk@galaxy.net

  > On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Brian Kolaci wrote:
  > > I'm not sure who to contact, I'm guessing an address...
  > > I've written a module and set of support programs and would
  > > like to see if it would be possible for me to contribute
  > > to the modules.
  >
  > Sure - the best thing to do is upload the package as a tar file to
  > ftp://apache.org/apache/incoming, with a README file in the package
  > describing what's in it, and then send me a message when it's up that I
  > can forward to the apache developers list.
  >
  > We'll throw just about anything in the contrib/dist directories, but some
  > things that will help get it in the official distribution:
  >
  > 1) it's well designed and orthogonal - if you're doing 3 different
  > things, you have 3 different modules.  Etc.
  >
  > 2) it peacefully coexists with other apache modules
  >
  > 3) it's relatively portable.
  >
  > Thanks!  What does it do, exactly?
  >
  > 	Brian

|   Brian Kolaci                      |   Kolacom, Inc.       |
|  - Consultant -                     |   8 Fox Hollow Rd.    |
|   bk@galaxy.net                     |   Ramsey, NJ  07446   |
|  No, I haven't lost my mind...                              |
|                  It's backed up on tape, somewhere...       |