Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Leah Rishona Blachman <le...@verizon.net> on 2012/05/21 02:43:01 UTC

how dare youy!!!!!

How dare you change something on my computer without my permission???!!! I am beyond appalled and consider this an incredible invasion of privacy? I am reporting you to every federal and state agency that could possible sue you for hacking!!! Your organization deserves to have any licenses you have immediately revoked. If I thought it would do any good, I would use language that would make even a sailor blush!! I PAIDfor Microsoft and you have STOLEN it from me. In my opinion, that is a crime!!! This is MYcomputer and I make the decisions, not you.

Re: how dare youy!!!!!

Posted by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com>.
I'll take a guess that your file associations have been changed so
that all files appear with the OpenOffice icons. This doesn't mean
that content of the files has been changed, just that your operating
system will open them with OpenOffice. There is a tutorial on the user
forum to help people change the file associations.
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12918#p60678.
If that isn't your problem then please let us know what did happen.

RE: how dare youy!!!!!

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Did you install Apache OpenOffice on your laptop?  Did someone upgrade software on your laptop when you were away?

It may be that what changed was the file association.  It should *not* have happened automatically.

Apache OpenOffice does not remove Microsoft Office software.  Apache OpenOffice does not install on anyone's computer without user action.  It is not possible for Apache OpenOffice to have been installed on your laptop without someone in possession of your laptop doing so.

There is an option to have Apache OpenOffice open automatically for Microsoft Office files, but someone has to select that option.

All of your Microsoft Office programs should still be there.  You should be able to confirm that by looking for Microsoft Office in your Start menu, All Programs list.

If the file associations where changed by mistake, there is an easy way to restore them to Microsoft Office.

Please let us know what version of Microsoft Windows you are operating and the Model of Laptop PC you are using.

Once I know that, I can show you how to set Windows so that Microsoft Word again opens for .doc files, etc.

 - Dennis

PS: You also might consider whether or not you have been the victim of a prank.

I have been out of town for two weeks and using only my Tab for email. When I went to open Microsoft documents on my laptop, instead of opening in Word, this unknown Apache OpenOffice opened the documents and it was not the format that I have chosen. I do not understand how you have the right to change anything on my computer. The format is different and these are confidential files. I received no notification this was happening. I have never even heard of your program and had to do a search to find out what it is.

The question is: what right did you have to go into my computer and change something I paid for because I wanted Microsoft? I never asked for your program. Unless you can provide me an explanation that convinces me you did not violate my privacy, my first call tomorrow morning will be to the Virginia State Attorney General's office. Then I will work my way up the federal food chain starting with Rep. Cantor and Senators Webb and Warner.

RE: how dare youy!!!!!