Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2013/07/29 03:19:45 UTC

Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Hi,

So far the only consensus (from those who have been vocal) is not to release the voted on RC3 but:
- We don't seem to have a solution the the Flash Builder version issue other than changing version number to single digits.
- The code for the release module issues hasn't been checked in.

Are there any other issues outstanding? Someone mentioned a FDT issue but I'm not 100% what can be done there either.

If we change the version (to 4.9.5 say), we'll need to change READMEs/RELEASE_NOTES, JIRA tags, Version.as files, announcement/press release and probably a few other things.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Swen van Zanten <fl...@hdsign.nl>.
Your right :)

Regards,

SWEN VAN ZANTEN
Hoofdstraat 160
2171 BL, Sassenheim

Op 30 jul. 2013, om 19:15 heeft Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> het volgende geschreven:

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Swen van Zanten <fl...@hdsign.nl>.
It works great.

Op 30 jul. 2013, om 08:57 heeft Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> het volgende geschreven:

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
I'm with Erik here too, fix it in develop + branch both issues.

--

João Fernandes

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
Eric could you try to clean the workspace cache[1] or eventually try a new
workspace?
I can't confirm if it would solve the problem because I'm moved to IntelliJ.

[1] {workspace}/.metadata/.plugins/com.adobe.flexbuilder.codemodel

--

João Fernandes

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
The file downloads fine.

The new jar does the trick, I get a nice, clean new project, no errors.

Thanks!

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Same here:

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Swen van Zanten <fl...@hdsign.nl>.
I have tried downloading the file.. but the browser says I have no permission..
Also in your readme the folder that is pointed to is: eclipse/plugins/com.adobe.flash.codemodel_4.7.0.349722
But on my machine it is: eclipse/plugins/com.adobe.flexbuilder.codemodel_4.7.0.349722

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/30/13 12:09 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for digging into this issue and finding a solution.
>My thoughts/concerns on this:
>
>   - It is really up to Adobe to figure out if they want to honor their
>   user base's desire to continue using FB 4.6.  DV does not work with
>Apache
>   Flex in any case.
>   - Will the fix for FB 4.7 work with future releases of Apache Flex
>   (4.11, 5.0.0, 5.0.5, etc.) ?  Is this something we can easily test
>today?
I bumped the upper limit from 5 to 100.  I figure if we get to version 100
in Apache Flex we'll either be so popular that Adobe will be interested in
cranking out new releases of FB, or FB will have been left behind by the
community in favor of some other tool vendors.  In theory you can test by
editing flex-sdk-description.xml
>   - Any chance the fix be released as a patch to FB 4.7 instead of you
>   having to host the .jar file somewhere? Maintaining a tool for this
>would
>   be too cumbersome.
I'm waiting to find that out, but I'd say the odds are slim.  Naturally,
the less work we want it to be for our customers, the more work Adobe has
to do.  I think the options are things like:
1) Adobe creates new binaries for FB 4.7 and Adobe Auto Updater pushes the
fix
2) Adobe releases some tool that updates your FB 4.7 installation.
3) Adobe posts the patched JAR on some FB page on www.adobe.com with
instructions
4) Adobe gives me permission to post the JAR on my blog.

There are other factors like how much testing and support Adobe will
commit to.

I honestly don't know where we'll end up.

-Alex

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I don't think 4.6 is all that important. If we fix 4.7, the latest
> versions of the SDK and Flash Builder are good to go.

Good we have a solution for 4.7 but given that this is really a perception issue (the actual problem has a very simple workaround ie edit and fix the generated code) and I'm reasonable sure the user base for 4.6 is still large we probably need a solution for both.

Do we have a time frame yet when we can consider the next RC? When do we consider this issue "solved"?

Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/2013 2:47 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski wrote:
> As time marches on, this method of "fixing" DV will become more and more

its looking more & more like 4.9.1 was the last SDK version where that "trick"
worked. 4.10.0 RC3 shows black/grey screen instead of the DV no matter how many
times i stand FB on its head. C'est la vie.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com>.
Om,

No blog post.  A google plus user posted that tid bit on the Apache Flex
Community page (
https://plus.google.com/104408486838026884935/posts/17vGFEevkZM).  I don't
know of any side affects yet, as i haven't moved off of Flex 4.6 yet.  But
when i do (planning for this next dev cycle to move to Flex 4.10) i'll put
up some updates to the group, and maybe even write up a blog about it :)
Just don't have enough detail to warrant one now

Chris

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/31/2013 11:59 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the note!  I learnt that nugget in this thread.  Is this
> document somewhere on a blog post, etc.?  If not I will add a note about
> this on our wiki.  Any known side effects of doing this?

there must be some magic sauce that i missed sprinkling on FB, as that trick
doesn't work w/4.10.0 for me.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> It is still using bad code, but the change allows 4.10 to work.
So 4*100+10*10 + 0 == 500 is going to be treated the same as 5.0.0 (5*100 + 0 + 0 = 500), 4.10.1 (say we need to patch it) = 501 which will end up with a higher version than than 5.0.0. 100% sure this is just not going to cause more issues down the track?

Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/30/13 4:23 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Also even with that patch to FB we would still have to change the RC
>version number form 4.10.0 to something else right for it to work in a
>patched version of FB? It sill using major*100+minor*10 to compare
>versions right?
It is still using bad code, but the change allows 4.10 to work.  I
basically upped the maximum version to 100 (from 5).  That's a lot of
releases from now and by that time we'll either have Adobe interested in
more FB release, created our own eclipse plug-ins and/or FB will be a
non-factor for various reasons.

I think we're ready to release as 4.10.0.  Do you still want to try for a
4.6 workaround?  I think that's going to be a hard thing to make happen.

-Alex

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
I don't think 4.6 is all that important. If we fix 4.7, the latest
versions of the SDK and Flash Builder are good to go. Everyone else
needs to update or live with the workaround.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Scott Guthmann <sc...@on3solutions.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
+1 on the fix and reverting. Thank you Alex for figuring those out.

I think we should actively prevent the 'New Project' issue from
occurring. All we need to do is change the version number to something
with only single digits. That really couldn't be simpler, could it?
5.0 has my vote.

This is not something people will be able to overlook. It is not an
obscure RTE in a feature few use, will happen each time they create a
new project. Doing nothing but adding a note in the docs will leave a
bad impression and will taint this release and - more importantly -
the still fragile image of the project. People, especially the press
and bloggers, tend to look at the negatives, no matter how awesome the
rest is.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
I'd say 'release' AND 'develop', that way the fixes will be run
through Mustella and the build machine as well as made part of the
release. The 'release' branch doesn't get automatically tested or
build.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> OK, do we have consensus on taking both the resource module fix and
> reverting Ilist?
I'm not sure enough people have expressed an option on either issue for consensus to be reached.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/28/13 9:15 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> I am hoping we're going to release something other than RC3 which means
>>we
>> have a few more days before we would release.
>
>2 day + 3 days (to vote) = 5 day minimum when means a minimal of over a
>week since the vote passed. Do you really think we should delay that long?
Yes, folks on the mailing list are complaining of #1 and #3.  I think it
would be bad PR to release with these issues.

>Just we aware that will overlap travel plans and 360 stack so there may
>be a further delays.
What day do you get in the airplane?  We might have enough time to get
this out before 360|Stack starts.

-Alex

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 28, 2013 7:37 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Hi Justin, what say Adobe about this?
> Been no official response from Adobe but I wouldn't really expect one, we
have to submit a bug in there bug base and it may or may not get fixed at
some time in the future. I can't see them fixing it and releasing a patch
in under a month. Pure speculation happy to be proven wrong there. When was
the last update/patch to Flash builder released by Adobe?

> Thanks,
> Justin

I vote for releasing as 4.10 and adding a big note in our README and
website about this issue.  So far, the workaround seems to be very simple -
just delete the offending attribute (layout='absolute') and get going.  We
can also add a technote instructing FB users to change the version in
flex-sdk-description.xml to get rid of this problem.

We can file a bug with Adobe and see when they would fix the issue.  There
is a reasonable chance that they would fix this issue sooner than later.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

RE: Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release

Posted by FRANKLIN GARZON <fg...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Justin, what say Adobe about this?

Franklin Garzón

Regional Development Manager

MCITP  Microsoft SQLServer

*Si el hombre dejara de aprender entonces dejaría de existir*

094496862