Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> on 2017/05/02 19:19:26 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-136: Add Listener name and Security Protocol name to SelectorMetrics tags

Edoardo,

Are you planning to do this only in the broker? Listener names only exist
at the broker level. Also, clients only have a single security protocol, so
maybe we should do this for brokers only. In that case, the compatibility
impact is also lower because more users rely on the Yammer metrics instead.

I would suggest you start the voting thread after clarifying if this change
only applies at the broker level.

Ismael

Posted by Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com>.
Thanks Ismael, following the discussion in the PR thread, I've updated the
implementation to only use the listener tag
and I've updated the KIP to match the implementation and describe the
compatibility choice of not tagging the yammer metric.

From:   Edoardo Comar/UK/IBM@IBMGB
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   10/05/2017 17:25
Subject:        Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-136: Add Listener name and Security
Protocol name to SelectorMetrics tags

Great feedback, Ismael, will update KIP and PR
thanks

From:   Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   10/05/2017 11:01
Protocol name to SelectorMetrics tags
Sent by:        ismaelj@gmail.com

Hi Edoardo,

I would go with what's in the KIP as it's more general. Listener names and
security protocols are different concepts (even if the default value is
the
same for compatibility reasons) and it's a bit odd to expect generic tools
that process Kafka metrics to have to fallback to the security protocol if
listener name is missing.

Ismael

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> [...]
3A+Add+Listener+name+and+Security+Protocol+name+to+SelectorMetrics+tags

> >> Please help review the KIP. You feedback is appreciated!
> >>
> >> cheers,
> >> Edo
> >> Edoardo Comar
> >> IBM MessageHub
> >> ecomar@uk.ibm.com
> >> IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park, SO21 2JN
> >>
> >> IBM United Kingdom Limited Registered in England and Wales with
number
> >> 741598 Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth,
Hants.
> PO6
> >> 3AU
> >> Unless stated otherwise above:
> >> IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with
> number
> >> 741598.
> >> Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire
PO6

From:   Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   10/05/2017 11:01