Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike Hagerty <ha...@bc.edu> on 2010/02/28 17:00:08 UTC

[users@httpd] How to map http://www.myaddress.com to http://www.myaddress.com:8000 ?

Hello.
Forgive me if this has been handled in the Archives. I've tried
searching different key words but I haven't
found anything.

I have an apache server running on port 8000.
This necessitates typing http://www.myaddress.com:8000 to get to my home
page.

I would like to be able to drop the ":8000" in the url and still have it
work.

The relevant parameters in /etc/apache/httpd.config seem to be:
Port 8000 - I set this to get around my company's firewall
#Listen - This is commented out, but from the apache docs, I think this
would just tell the server to listen on port 8000 (or the default 80)
but that the
               port no. would still need to be specified in the url
request (?)
#NameVirtualHost *:80 - From the docs I can see how this can be used so
that a single apache server can handle web requests to different
ip:ports differently,
                                        but I don't see how it could be
used for my purpose.

I guess I'm asking if there is any way to configure the server so that
http:/www.myaddress.com is assumed to be on port 8000 rather than 80 ?

Thanks!

-Mike

Re: [users@httpd] How to map http://www.myaddress.com to http://www.myaddress.com:8000 ?

Posted by Nilesh Govindarajan <li...@itech7.com>.
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Mike Hagerty <ha...@bc.edu> wrote:

> Hello.
> Forgive me if this has been handled in the Archives. I've tried searching
> different key words but I haven't
> found anything.
>
> I have an apache server running on port 8000.
> This necessitates typing http://www.myaddress.com:8000 to get to my home
> page.
>
> I would like to be able to drop the ":8000" in the url and still have it
> work.
>
> The relevant parameters in /etc/apache/httpd.config seem to be:
> Port 8000 - I set this to get around my company's firewall
> #Listen - This is commented out, but from the apache docs, I think this
> would just tell the server to listen on port 8000 (or the default 80) but
> that the
>              port no. would still need to be specified in the url request
> (?)
> #NameVirtualHost *:80 - From the docs I can see how this can be used so
> that a single apache server can handle web requests to different ip:ports
> differently,
>                                       but I don't see how it could be used
> for my purpose.
>
> I guess I'm asking if there is any way to configure the server so that
> http:/www.myaddress.com is assumed to be on port 8000 rather than 80 ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Mike

First of all, why do you want to use port 8000 ? Your ISP is blocking port
80 ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator