Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by to...@jeromio.com on 2001/07/10 20:32:29 UTC

Fundamental Problems transitioning from JServ to Tomcat 3.2.2

I have some very basic problems with my Tomcat config.

I had a site that was working fairly well using Apache
1.3.14 and Jserv. I had installed the whole thing as a
single RPM. I wrote a collection of servlets using
Peter Mount's Postgresql JDBC 2.0 driver.

Well, not being the type to leave well enough alone, I
wanted to upgrade to Tomcat.

It works, sort of (http://jeromio.com/examples). The
examples, the test and admin stuff (although I can't
get past the login despite adding a user with an
"admin" role in tomcat-users.xml).

But for the life of me I can't get anything else to
work. I used to have
http://jeromio.com/servlets/<servletname>. I tried
adding a servlet Context in the server.xml. This seems
to be pointing to the right directory now (it displays
the index.html file I have there), but adding the name
of a servlet results in 404. My servlets are all
.class files - must I create war files? I hope not.

Also, and I believe this is a related problem, I can't
get jetspeed to work. Copying the jetspeed .war file
to the webapps directory, then starting tomcat got me
the whole jetspeed directory tree under webapps.
There's also lots of output related to jetspeed during
the tomcat startup, but http://jeromio.com/jetspeed
results in a 404. I have tried adding explicit Context
and directory tags to the server.xml and the
modjk.conf file (that gets Included in my apache.conf
file), but I've gotten nowhere.

Seems like I am soooo close. Can anyone offer any
pointers?