Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/07/08 21:03:10 UTC

DeviceMap data and java client 1.0.0 release review ready

I have updated the devicemap data and java client release:

http://www.rezsoft.org/devicemap/

Changes:

-fixed the LICENSE, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER. I also added these to individual projects to simplify releasing.
-added a README
-removed all the @author comments
-changed version from 1.0 to 1.0.0
-I changed the java client artifact id from devicemap-java to devicemap-client
-I moved some classes around in the loader package so they are better organized

If all looks good, I will create the tag for this release.

Re: DeviceMap data and java client 1.0.0 release review ready

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
So I went back and matched the tags to the release.

java client: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/devicemap/tags/devicemap/java/1.0.0/classifier/
data: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/devicemap/tags/data/1.0.0/device-data/

So trunk is a few commits ahead now, so those changes will be picked up in the next release... obviously :)

Already got some new device data and java client enhancements ready, so the next release is on the horizon. I will make jira tickets to track the additions and enhancements in the coming days.

________________________________
Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 4:25 AM, Reza <re...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> ...Regarding the md5 and sha1 filenames, so my release script is using
> plain md5sum and sha1sum which includes the filename...

IMO it would be better to use the Maven release plugins going forward,
at least for the java stuff.

That's what we do in Sling (which does very frequent releases of many
modules) and combined with the staging features of
repository.apache.org that's really useful.

http://sling.apache.org/documentation/development/release-management.html
has more info and the Sling parent pom is at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/parent/pom.xml

I wasn't much involved in setting that up but IIRC the key is using
the org.apache:apache:14 pom as the parent of the parent pom to enable
the repository.apache.org staging.

-Bertrand

Re: release script

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Nice, just ran the script, everything checked out (minus the filenames in the checksums).

Regarding the md5 and sha1 filenames, so my release script is using plain md5sum and sha1sum which includes the filename. How are you generating the release? Can you check that script in too? This way we can standardize.

Projects seem to vary in the md5 used:

https://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.54/bin/apache-tomcat-7.0.54.tar.gz.md5

http://www.apache.org/dist/ant/binaries/apache-ant-1.9.4-bin.zip.md5

________________________________
Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Reza,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Reza,

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Reza <re...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> I have moved the java and data release preview here:
> http://devicemap-vm.apache.org/releases/1.0.0/

Thanks! I have checked the release according to
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list
and except for a minor file naming issue I think it's ready for a
[VOTE] here.

I checked the following archives:

SHA1(devicemap-client-java-1.0.0.tar.gz)=
47d1b3a0fa6120510c0f56160b363261a9ace888
SHA1(devicemap-data-1.0.0.tar.gz)= f646e5d919a97864ea16af26a72fc62608110a15

Signatures and digests match, PGP key is available at
https://people.apache.org/keys/group/devicemap.asc

The archive contents match the following svn tags:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/tags/devicemap/java/1.0.0/classifier/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/tags/data/1.0.0/device-data/

The build with "mvn clean install" works, building the device-data
module first as mentioned in the devicemap-client-java instructions.

DISCLAIMER, NOTICE and LICENCE look good to me.

All source files have the ASF license headers.

There's just one issue that I forgot to check earlier, the archive
files should include "-incubating" in their name. So once renamed I
would vote +1 on releasing those two archives, and they look good for
passing the Incubator PMC vote that's also required for incubating
projects.

So as far as I'm concerned you can proceed to the [VOTE], and once
that passes proceed to the Incubator PMC vote. The docs about this at
[1] are a bit complicated, basically once our own vote passes you need
to subscribe to general@incubator.apache.org and start a [VOTE] thread
there referencing our own vote thread, [2] is a good example of that
(and BTW http://s.apache.org/ is useful to shorten URLs here).

-Bertrand

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-incubator-release-vote
[2] http://markmail.org/thread/5kakbbbjy36lidhk

Re: DeviceMap data and java client 1.0.0 release review ready

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Reza/all,

Thanks, making it available on the Apache Server is a Good step.
I recently tagged test-data with 1.0.0, too. Would it be possible to create
an archive? It's mainly a convenience for apps using both, otherwise they
need to maintain two versions and as some build issues showed, it can be
tricky to maintain them

If there's a Problem including test-data, I'd remove the Tag. I trust, the
archives are signed as Bertrand suggested, and it Matches a tag in SVN. As
long as there's no "bridge" to W3C implementations, let's offer the Simple
DDR in parallel as Bertrand also suggested. If they can be merged in a
future release function-wise, there's always a chance to "freeze" the W3C
part. In fact while W3C doesn't provide much New to this Spec it may not
get many Upgrades here, but graduating to 1.0.0 seems essential to
acceptance by the Community.

I can prepare files for this artifact once I'm back from the conference.

Cheers,
Werner

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Sounds good. I will track down the svn commit # tomorrow and make the tag.

thanks!

________________________________

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Legacy ODDR java client and w3c jar in our repo

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
You forget, that every single "Data" contribution (and until someone
provides a proper Web service or process to do it here, it will remain the
ONLY contribution[?]) comes from OpenDDR with my initial contribution. The
"alternate" client uses this file, otherwise it would have no data
whatsoever, so I guess that explains what I and OpenDDR provided here.

Without data the best API is worth crap[?]

Unlike the "new client" the OpenDDR based filter also works out of the box
from here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/devicemap/trunk/contrib/web/webfilter/

Towards a 1.0.0 release the web servlets, JSP, Spring or whatever you chose
for a demo application should match the API and work out of the box, at
least based on som manual steps.
The only example you provided for the 1.0.0 client is on "rezasoft", which
is not a proper SVN repo of Apache AFAIK, so could you please migrate that
to the "example" root under the trunk or another appropriate place?

Except for the prior place (you'll notice, the last improvements happened 2
weeks ago, not 2 years, and the "contrib" sources always worked since the
initial contribution[?]) they were always 1.0 ready and still are. So the
"new client" is an alternate way to access the resources OpenDDR donated,
but it's not W3C compliant.

If Eberhard's .NET client is, then the biggest distraction for people is
that they neither have a working example web application to test this
(having some tomcat on apache.org is nice, but the real value is to use it
in THEIR site[?]) nor a consistent API compared to the .NET platform.

Werner

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
How about the "examples" repo, that does not seem to be in the official SVN
yet?

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: moving XMLParser.java to loader.impl

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Went into wrong Mylyn context, sorry, I am just fixing the problem of the
JAR in a proper way.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.