Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by abhishek srivastava <ab...@hotmail.com> on 2002/06/23 16:54:22 UTC

mod_jk.so for the new tomcat!

Hello All,

I have downloaded the new tomcat 4.0.4 today. I also downloaded the source
for the jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.4-src ... when I run ant the build
says build successfull. but there is no mod_jk.so to be found.

I also went in a directory called "native" and ran the ant from there but
this time I got some wierd JNI errors for C files. this is the place where I
am stuck.

As far as I know, if the mod_jk.so file is not there then apache will not
talk to tomcat!

Also, the how-to documentation on the apache site for mod_jk file mentions
two enteries for server.xml (for apache tomcat auto-config)

<AutoWebApp dir="webapps" host="DEFAULT" />
<ApacheConfig confighome="/home/mydir" />

But I am not clear as to where should I add these in the server.xml file
(under which element).

Thank you for your help. Please do reply to me.

regards,
Abhishek.

PS: If someone has already succeeded in building the binaries of mod_jk for
LINUX 7.3 platform, then please send it to me.

Re: mod_jk.so for the new tomcat!

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On 24 Jun 2002, Sean M Alderman wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 10:54, abhishek srivastava wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have downloaded the new tomcat 4.0.4 today. I also downloaded the source
> > for the jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.4-src ... when I run ant the build
> > says build successfull. but there is no mod_jk.so to be found.
>
> When you run ant to build the connectors, in
> jakarta-tomcat-connectors-src/jk try running 'ant native' to build
> mod_jk.so.  I didn't have much luck doing this on my solaris8 box, but I
> know why that didn't work, just not how to fix it (it was a solaris
> specific issue).

What problem are you running into?  I'm doing something like this to
build it on AIX, and I'm not sure it's working.  The "not sure" part
is because it doesn't fail (I'm talking about it actually creating
mod_jk.so), but there is no mod_jk.so file to be found.  There are
some other similarly named files though, like mod_jk.lo and
libmod_jk.so.0, but I don't know if I can just rename one of them and
use it.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)
mepstein@uiuc.edu

Re: mod_jk.so for the new tomcat!

Posted by Sean M Alderman <se...@grc.nasa.gov>.
On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 10:54, abhishek srivastava wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have downloaded the new tomcat 4.0.4 today. I also downloaded the source
> for the jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.4-src ... when I run ant the build
> says build successfull. but there is no mod_jk.so to be found.

When you run ant to build the connectors, in
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-src/jk try running 'ant native' to build
mod_jk.so.  I didn't have much luck doing this on my solaris8 box, but I
know why that didn't work, just not how to fix it (it was a solaris
specific issue).

<snip>

> PS: If someone has already succeeded in building the binaries of mod_jk for
> LINUX 7.3 platform, then please send it to me.

I assume you mean RedHat 7.3.  You should be able to use the binary
connector here -
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.3/bin/linux/i386/

Sean M. Alderman
ITRACK Systems Analyst
PACE/NCI - NASA Glenn Research Center
(216) 433-2795

Calling a windowed operating system "Windows" is like naming an
automobile "Wheels."

Re: mod_jk.so for the new tomcat!

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, abhishek srivastava wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have downloaded the new tomcat 4.0.4 today. I also downloaded the source
> for the jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.4-src ... when I run ant the build
> says build successfull. but there is no mod_jk.so to be found.
>
> I also went in a directory called "native" and ran the ant from there but
> this time I got some wierd JNI errors for C files. this is the place where I
> am stuck.
>
> As far as I know, if the mod_jk.so file is not there then apache will not
> talk to tomcat!
[ ... ]

Were there any files with names close to mod_jk.so?  Like perhaps
libmod_jk.so.0 or something like that?  Also, what platform are you
on?  It sounds like I'm having similar problems, there are no error
messages, the build seems like it goes OK, but there's no mod_jk.so
file.  I do have some other similarly named files though.  I'm on AIX.