Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Stephen Bartnikowski <sb...@barkinglizards.com> on 2006/11/28 01:08:37 UTC

logstream and a std::string with zeros

Hello,

I'm doing the following:

std::string message;

[...]

if (sm_logger->isDebugEnabled()) {
   log4cxx::logstream oss(sm_logger, log4cxx::Level::getDebug());
   oss.setLocation(LOG4CXX_LOCATION);
   oss << message;
   oss.flush();
}

but in one circumstance I found that "message" contained actual zeros
as part of the string data.  (std::string allows this and does not
recognize them as null terminators.)

When "message" is streamed into "oss", my program hangs.  If I convert
"message" to a c_str prior to calling my block of code, everything runs
fine.  I think the logstream operator<< is converting the std::string to
a type that isn't able to handle zeros in the string for whatever
reason.  Should this be a bug report?

(I'm using the log4cxx code from SVN about 2 weeks ago on FreeBSD 6.0.)

Thanks!
Steve

RE: logstream and a std::string with zeros

Posted by Stephen Bartnikowski <sb...@barkinglizards.com>.
Oops - thanks Curt!

On Nov 27, 2006, at 6:08 PM, Stephen Bartnikowski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm doing the following:
>
> std::string message;
>
> [...]
>
> if (sm_logger->isDebugEnabled()) {
>    log4cxx::logstream oss(sm_logger, log4cxx::Level::getDebug());
>    oss.setLocation(LOG4CXX_LOCATION);
>    oss << message;
>    oss.flush();
> }
>
> but in one circumstance I found that "message" contained actual zeros
> as part of the string data.  (std::string allows this and does not
> recognize them as null terminators.)
>
> When "message" is streamed into "oss", my program hangs.  If I convert
> "message" to a c_str prior to calling my block of code, everything
> runs
> fine.  I think the logstream operator<< is converting the
> std::string to
> a type that isn't able to handle zeros in the string for whatever
> reason.  Should this be a bug report?
>
> (I'm using the log4cxx code from SVN about 2 weeks ago on FreeBSD
> 6.0.)
>
> Thanks!
> Steve

Already reported as http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-162.
There is a patch associated with the bug report, but it has not been
reviewed.

Re: logstream and a std::string with zeros

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.