Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2004/05/10 00:06:03 UTC

A few remaining issues to be discussed before we cut 3.0a1

Folks,
We are basically two bug reports away from the target for the 3.0a1
release. We are damn close. Before we cut the release, I feel there is a
few issues to be discussed first.

(1) Since this release is going to be incompatible with 2.0 API anyways,
I suggest HttpException be changed to derive from Exception and not
IOException. The only reason for not making a clear distinction between
protocol exceptions (derived from HttpException) and transport
exceptions (derived from IOException) was an attempt to keep the new
release compatible with 2.0 branch which did not quite work out

(2) I no longer want to conceal my frustration with the way bugzilla is
managed. Frankly I am fed up. I suggest we seriously consider moving to
Jira.

Oleg

Re: A few remaining issues to be discussed before we cut 3.0a1

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
> (1) Since this release is going to be incompatible with 2.0 API
> anyways,
> I suggest HttpException be changed to derive from Exception and not
> IOException. The only reason for not making a clear distinction between
> protocol exceptions (derived from HttpException) and transport
> exceptions (derived from IOException) was an attempt to keep the new
> release compatible with 2.0 branch which did not quite work out

Though we have made some API changes, they have been pretty small, and
I think they do not effect most users.  This change would certainly
impact a number people.  My preference would be to not make this change
for 3.0.  This change, though certainly refining, does not add any
required functionality, and therefore I think it is not needed at this
point.

> (2) I no longer want to conceal my frustration with the way bugzilla is
> managed. Frankly I am fed up. I suggest we seriously consider moving to
> Jira.

I'm all for a move to Jira.

I have another question in regard to a 3.0a1 release.  How should we
handle the web site?  My feeling is that 2.0 should remain the main
version on the site until we move into the 3.0 beta releases.  In the
interim we could include a link to 3.0 docs server at a separate
location. How does this sound?

Mike

Re: A few remaining issues to be discussed before we cut 3.0a1

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> (1) Since this release is going to be incompatible with 2.0 API anyways,
> I suggest HttpException be changed to derive from Exception and not
> IOException.

As you know, I have a very relaxed oppinion of breaking API
compatibility. I am in favour of this change.

> (2) I no longer want to conceal my frustration with the way bugzilla is
> managed. Frankly I am fed up. I suggest we seriously consider moving to
> Jira.

Anything I can help here?

  NOSE applied intelligence ag

  software engineer                 [email] ortwin.glueck@nose.ch