Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> on 2020/08/10 10:57:03 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache Board Report August 2020 (reporting on May/Jun/Jul)

Hi Everyone,

Any other updates/comments before I submit our latest board report? (Due in
a couple of days)

Thanks, Paul.

===============>8==============

Apache Groovy is responsible for the evolution and maintenance of the
Groovy
programming language. Groovy is a multi-faceted JVM programming language.

## Issues:
No issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache Groovy was founded 2015-11-18 (5 years ago)
There are currently 20 committers and 10 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 2:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Daniel Sun on 2019-05-06.
- Mikko Värri was added as committer on 2020-06-03

## Project Activity:
We continue to work on bug fixes for 2.5 and 3 and continue to assist
other non-Apache projects within the Groovy ecosystem move to 3.0.
We are also working on our roadmap for Groovy 4 and expect to
release an alpha version in the next quarter.

Recent releases:
- 2.4.20 was released on 2020-07-22
- 2.5.13 was released on 2020-07-22
- 3.0.5 was released on 2020-07-22
- 2.5.12 was released on 2020-05-21
- 3.0.4 was released on 2020-05-21
Downloads (Maven central/bintray only):
- For May/Jun/Jul quarter: approx 82 million
- last 12 months: ~275M
- since 2012 (when we started keeping stats from above repos):  ~574M

## Community Health:
The overall community status remains healthy. The community tries very
hard to be welcoming and interesting discussions continue to take place
at appropriate times. Large endeavours currently take a while to progress
due to the part-time nature of most contributors.

One key community building aspect for the project has been around
ApacheCon@Home. The project has a dedicated track and received interest
from numerous speakers. This is expected to remain a high focus for
the coming quarter.

Notable mailing list trends:
dev@groovy.apache.org had a 56% increase in traffic in the past quarter

This quarter, 272 commits were contributed from 20 contributors
including 13 non-committer contributors (10 new).

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Board Report August 2020 (reporting on May/Jun/Jul)

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
+1

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Board Report August 2020 (reporting on May/Jun/Jul)

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Correct. I would say that this quarter's "planning for GContracts" falls
under "planning our roadmap for Groovy 4" but I was going to refrain
from more specific details until the next quarter where it's worth a
specific mention.

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.