Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alex Hunsley <al...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/06/08 16:12:00 UTC

recent server upgrade - Permission denied on opening 'locks' table

A few months ago I started using subversion, running my own repository
server on fedora core 3 and all has been fine till now.
The initial server version was 1.1.2. Today I've upgraded my server to
1.2.0. According to the release docs, there is no need for any dump/load
cycle for this upgrade.
However, now I have problems accessing my repository, for example:

  [root@osprey advantage]# svn diff -r head
  svn: Berkeley DB error for filesystem
/srv/svn/repositories/advantage/db while opening 'locks' table:
  Permission denied
  [root@osprey advantage]#

I tried to remove locks on a repository:

  [root@jasmo repositories]# svnadmin rmlocks advantage/db
  svnadmin: Expected format '3' of repository; found format '1'

I don't understand why it thinks there is a format '1' of the database
schema, as version 1.1.2 is the first version I used!
Googling hasn't thrown a whole lot of light on the situation...

Any help appreciated,
alex

Re: recent server upgrade - Permission denied on opening 'locks' table

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:12 AM, Alex Hunsley wrote:

>  [root@osprey advantage]# svn diff -r head
>  svn: Berkeley DB error for filesystem /srv/svn/repositories/
> advantage/db while opening 'locks' table:
>  Permission denied

Permission denied?  The svn 1.2 libraries are trying to create a new
'locks' table in the database, and the operating system's permissions
are somehow preventing that from happening.

(The svn 1.2 libraries are trying to create the locks table, as well
as bump the 'format' file up to '3'.... but it's not happening.)

>  [root@jasmo repositories]# svnadmin rmlocks advantage/db
>  svnadmin: Expected format '3' of repository; found format '1'

You're running a locking-related command, and the svn 1.2 libraries
are pointing out that the format file claims the repository hasn't
been 'upgraded' to format 3, which is lock-capabale.