Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Antony <u8...@mis.nccu.edu.tw> on 2002/03/22 01:28:53 UTC

Extension issues

Hi:

    I think Struts is coming up with several interesting extensions:

    -Tiles
    -Validator
    -Workflow

    The bad thing is that you have to use appropriate ActionServlet
implementation for each extension.
Therefore you cannot, theoratically, use tiles for multiple view
reppresentation, validator for form calidation
and control flow with workflow extension at the same time. Did I
misunderstood anything? If not, is there a
way to work around?

Regards,
Antony

Re: Extension issues

Posted by Antony <u8...@mis.nccu.edu.tw>.
Cedric Dumoulin wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  It is something that Struts have to improve. The new "plugin" capabilities is
>the first step, but doesn't solve everything yet.
>
>  What you can do is to provide your own ActionServlet implementation combining
>features from the extensions you need.
>  Extend one of the actionServlet (the more complicated one ;-) ), and add
>missing stuff from others.
>  From Tiles and Struts1.0, you need to pick up the init method, and catch any
>call to RequestDispatcher.include() and RequestDispatcher.forward(). Check Tiles
>servlet implementation : processActionForward() and processValidate() are copies
>of original Struts implementation, except the call to include which is modify to
>a call to a new method processForward().
>  If you use Struts1.1, you need to provide a RequestProcessor. Here again, check
>code from the needed extensions. Tiles simply override methods doInclude() and
>doForward().
>
>   Hope this help,
>
>    Cedric

Thanks. That would be a lot of work though;-)

Antony

Re: Extension issues

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@lifl.fr>.
  Hello,

  It is something that Struts have to improve. The new "plugin" capabilities is
the first step, but doesn't solve everything yet.

  What you can do is to provide your own ActionServlet implementation combining
features from the extensions you need.
  Extend one of the actionServlet (the more complicated one ;-) ), and add
missing stuff from others.
  From Tiles and Struts1.0, you need to pick up the init method, and catch any