Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Shiels <sh...@ssi-schaefer-noell.com> on 2000/07/14 12:14:20 UTC

My parameters are lost when storing them in HttpSession using Servlet

Tomcat version:        3.1

O/S:                        WinNT 4.0 SP6
JDK:                        Java(TM) 2 SDK, Standard Edition Version 1.3.0

I have a servlet which verifies user login information in a database. If the user is allowed to login I add some information to the session object and redirect the user to a start page:

public void doGet (HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
           throws ServletException, IOException
    {
..
..
  HttpSession session = req.getSession(true);
  session.setAttribute("loggedIn",  new String("true"));
  session.setAttribute("permission",  new Integer(iPermission));
  res.sendRedirect("index.jsp");

..
..
}

My problem is that when I try and access this session information in my "index.jsp" page, all values are null, and the session id's are different!

<%@ page errorPage = "Error.jsp" import = "java.util.*, javax.servlet.http.*, javax.servlet.*" %>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>KULIE</TITLE>
</HEAD>
..
<%=session.getAttribute("permission")%>
<%=session.getAttribute("loggedIn")%>

..
</HTML>

I have no idea what the problem is, and have stripped my code right down to the bare bones to see if I am making any stupid mistake.

I also triedgetting the session by using HttpSession userSess = request.getSession(); and displaying the results this way, but the values a re still null

Also, I have tested the following with  2 jsp pages, where 1 jsp page stores data in the session, then redirects to another page where the data is printed. The files are as follows:

v.jsp

<%session.setAttribute("andy", new String ("HELLO!"));%>
<% response.sendRedirect ("w.jsp");%>

w.jsp

<HTML>
<BODY>
<H1>
<%=session.getAttribute("andy")%>
</H1>
</BODY>
</HTML>

This works fine, so my problem only seems related to servlets.

Has anyone any idea on what could possible be causing the problem?

Thanks,

Andy Shiels