Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/06/03 08:58:45 UTC

Help needed with ASF Branding Requirements

Hi all,

there is an updated version of the branding requirements[1] and I just
went through it.  There is one thing left from the checklist and some
things have changed.

What has changed is that the project name in the description has to be
used as an adjective rather than a noun.  My problem with the example is
that if I translate "The Apache Xerces XML parsing library" to German
"Apache Xerces" remains a noun so I'm not really sure I actually
understand the concept of adjectives in the English language 8-)

It seems that we need to combine Apache Gump with some extra noun(s).

Right now we have "Apache Gump is the oldest continuous integration tool
of the Apache Sofware Foundation." and I propose to change it to "The
Apache Gump continuous integration tool was the first one used at the
Apache Software Foundation.".  Does that seem correct?

What hasn't changed is that the license link should go to the folder
holding all versions of the AL rather than to the 2.0 version directly -
I'll change that over the weekend.

I think we cover all the rest of the requirements - but I'll double
check - except for our logos that need "TM" symbols.  I'm still not
capable of doing any artwork so please, who ever feels like using Gimp
or Photoshop or Paint, you are more than welcome to TMify the bench
logos (the one on our main site as well as the one on our reports).

Stefan

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

Re: Help needed with ASF Branding Requirements

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 4 June 2011 06:32, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2011-06-03, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> Right now we have "Apache Gump is the oldest continuous integration tool
>> of the Apache Sofware Foundation." and I propose to change it to "The
>> Apache Gump continuous integration tool was the first one used at the
>> Apache Software Foundation.".  Does that seem correct?
>
> Actually I'm not sure whether "used" is correct, project have been using
> Mozilla's tinderbox back then.  I committed a change with "developed"
> rather than "used" in the sentence above.  Feel free to correct it.

Looks fine to me.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> > Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> >> I think it is bench.svg, but I'm not sure.
> >
> > No, it is not.  bench.svg doesn't include the feather above the bench.
> > No idea what the source of the reports logo is, it likely isn't in svn.
>
> > I'll see whether I manage to extract the feather from the site logo by
> > diffing bench.svg and the site logo's svg.
>
> No chance without making myself more familiar with SVG first, which
> won't happen too soon.
>
> Both files refer to asf-logo.svg that I don't find anywhere and I think
> this is the one that pulls the feather in.  It is displayed in one and
> not displayed in the other.

Yes, using one SVG2PNG viewer i see that there is an error
symbol (on both images) where that included SVG is supposed to be.

The reason that the Feather is seen on the gump-logo-original.svg
is that SVG code to create the feather is also in this file.

GUMP-164

-David

Re: Help needed with ASF Branding Requirements

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
> >> I think we cover all the rest of the requirements - but I'll double
> >> check - except for our logos that need "TM" symbols.  I'm still not
> >> capable of doing any artwork so please, who ever feels like using Gimp
> >> or Photoshop or Paint, you are more than welcome to TMify the bench
> >> logos (the one on our main site as well as the one on our reports).
>
> > I am no graphics expert either. I started a Forrest
> > plugin to assist with this. See config patch at GUMP-163
>
> Many many thanks.

However, i noticed yesterday (at Forrest) that the
generated PNG has changed colour. Same for Gump.
Drat. (FOR-1226)

We have been needing to update the Batik used by
both Cocoon and Forrest for some time. Perhaps that
will help.

> > It overlays a trademark symbol using SVG to create a
> > new image.
>
> IIUC we could merge the overlay directly into the logo, is that correct?
> I'm not familiar with SVG at all but maybe that needs to change anyway.

Yes it could. This plugin was just a simple solution
to take an existing PNG and generate a new PNG.

Yes looking now at the gump-logo-original.svg
it would be relatively easy to add the "text"
element directly into that SVG.

> > This patch only applies it to the main Gump logo.
> >
> > Add the other "reports" logo to xdoc/images/
> > temporarily (i notice that it has the same filename)
> > or give it a new name.
>
> I think it is bench.svg, but I'm not sure.
>
> > Tweak its related SVG file to position its TM appropriately.

I was only considering doing as above to generate a
new PNG from the old PNG. Yes amending the SVG
directly would be better.

-David

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-06-10, David Crossley wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> I think we cover all the rest of the requirements - but I'll double
>> check - except for our logos that need "TM" symbols.  I'm still not
>> capable of doing any artwork so please, who ever feels like using Gimp
>> or Photoshop or Paint, you are more than welcome to TMify the bench
>> logos (the one on our main site as well as the one on our reports).

> I am no graphics expert either. I started a Forrest
> plugin to assist with this. See config patch at GUMP-163

Many many thanks.

> It overlays a trademark symbol using SVG to create a
> new image.

IIUC we could merge the overlay directly into the logo, is that correct?
I'm not familiar with SVG at all but maybe that needs to change anyway.

> This patch only applies it to the main Gump logo.

> Add the other "reports" logo to xdoc/images/
> temporarily (i notice that it has the same filename)
> or give it a new name.

I think it is bench.svg, but I'm not sure.

> Tweak its related SVG file to position its TM appropriately.

I'll give it a try.

> Hope that helps.

Thanks again

       Stefan

Re: Help needed with ASF Branding Requirements

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-06-03, sebb wrote:

> On 3 June 2011 07:58, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,

>> there is an updated version of the branding requirements[1] and I just
>> went through it.  There is one thing left from the checklist and some
>> things have changed.

>> What has changed is that the project name in the description has to be
>> used as an adjective rather than a noun.  My problem with the example is
>> that if I translate "The Apache Xerces XML parsing library" to German
>> "Apache Xerces" remains a noun so I'm not really sure I actually
>> understand the concept of adjectives in the English language 8-)

> The noun in this case is "library".
> Apache Xerces is here being used as a qualifier.

>> It seems that we need to combine Apache Gump with some extra noun(s).

>> Right now we have "Apache Gump is the oldest continuous integration tool
>> of the Apache Sofware Foundation." and I propose to change it to "The
>> Apache Gump continuous integration tool was the first one used at the
>> Apache Software Foundation.".  Does that seem correct?

> Seems fine to me.

Thank you.

Stefan

Re: Help needed with ASF Branding Requirements

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.