Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2012/11/27 19:46:02 UTC

[POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Hi Folks,

There have been some recent discussions about Maven and how it could work
with Apache Flex.  There are several possibilities, but none of them are
perfect because of Adobe licensing requirements.  This poll is only about
how you use or plan to use Apache Flex and Maven to build apps that use an
Adobe runtime (Adobe Flash Player or Adobe AIR including Adobe AIR packaged
for Android or IOS).  We¹ll worry about other Apache Flex scenarios in the
future.  This poll also assumes that the Adobe will not change its SDK
licensing and requires that you accept the licensing terms at least once.

Also, you can substitute the word "Maven" for any Maven-like tool that uses
Maven files.

Please answer the following:

1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
(0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
or no)

3. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on desktop/laptops (yes or
no)

4. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on Android (yes or no)

5. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on IOS (yes or no)

6. Rate the following proposed implementations (-1 = not acceptable, 0 =
neutral, 1 = acceptable, 2 = preferred)
    a) You must manually download the Player SDK and AIR SDK from the Adobe
       site and set up environment variables pointing to them
    b) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Apache Flex
       site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
       to accept the Adobe license agreement.
    c) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Adobe
       site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
       to accept the Adobe license agreement.
    d) Maven can be used as-is for FlashPlayer apps and AIR apps on
       desktops/laptops, but not for AIR apps on Android/IOS.  To target
       Android/IOS, you must use one of the first three implementations
    e) We will manually download the Player SDKs and AIR SDKs and put them
       in our local/private Maven repo.
    f) We would use a utility application that would download the Player
       SDKs and AIR SDKs (prompting you to accept the license) and put them
       in our local/private Maven repo.

Thanks in advance.  Remember that polls are not binding, but your input is
much appreciated.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Simon Morvan <ga...@zone84.net>.
Le 28/11/2012 18:35, Alex Harui a écrit :

> On 11/28/12 2:22 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>> ...6. Rate the following proposed implementations (-1 = not acceptable, 0 =
>>> neutral, 1 = acceptable, 2 = preferred)
>>>     a) You must manually download the Player SDK and AIR SDK from the Adobe
>>>        site and set up environment variables pointing to them...
>> Doesn't the Flex installer already download those files?
> It was my understanding that Maven users won't need to use the Apache Flex
> installer.
The opposite would cancel any benefit of using Maven's dependency
management features.

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
This was something we had discussed here not just once and it seemed that Adobe was not willing to provide such an option.

Chris

> Then it outputs the license text to the console (and hereby to the screen and/or log). If this is an interactive build, it prompts the user to accept the license, if it's a non-interactive build it generates a token (UUID) and outputs that so it is written to the log.
> Now you can set a property "adobe.accept-licence-token" and provide the previously generated token ... now the user has to do a second run. This time when checking that the artifacts are present the tool will see that a token is provided and compares that to the previously generated one. If these match, it downloads and mavenizes the missing resources.
Chris,

Given that licensed artifacts would be shipped from Adobe's repository,
couldn't it be a License you implicitly accept by using the repository ?
Adobe could require that user registers a contact email to be notified
of licensing updates as it was done in the past for Flashplayer
redistribution policy.

Re: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Simon Morvan <ga...@zone84.net>.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok ... then how about this option:

You can set the plugin to run in non-interactive mode so it doesn't block in CI Servers.

If the artifacts are missing it outputs a message telling the uses that artifacts are missing and that the Adobe license has to be accepted.
Then it outputs the license text to the console (and hereby to the screen and/or log). If this is an interactive build, it prompts the user to accept the license, if it's a non-interactive build it generates a token (UUID) and outputs that so it is written to the log.
Now you can set a property "adobe.accept-licence-token" and provide the previously generated token ... now the user has to do a second run. This time when checking that the artifacts are present the tool will see that a token is provided and compares that to the previously generated one. If these match, it downloads and mavenizes the missing resources.

This way it is guaranteed to have somehow presented the license text and the user has to willingly accept it and isn't able to automate the acceptance.

BUT ... it is not guaranteed that the user has actually read the text :-)

BUT ... I would really like to have it the simpler way :-)

Chris

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sounds perfect to me.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I think I will not do any real work on FM6.
Currently you are able to use FM6 with the Mavenizer and I would rather concentrate on building a new plugin.

Chris

- In the maven-flex-plugin suite there is one mojo that binds to mavens
"initialize" phase and checks the availability of the Apache artifacts. If
they are missing it prompts the user if he accepts the license agreement (An
option to allow a non-interactive build would be good for running on
CI-Servers)

Is that a proposal for flexmojos 6.x too or we'll have to wait for flexmojos
next (maven-flex-plugin)  ?
(The optional part is not an option IMO)

- Fred.

I am actually using Gradle with GradleFx plugin (sorry Chris, had too many
issues with FlexMojos :-/ ). Gradle uses Maven under the hood. My answers
to the first 5 questions should be interpreted from that angle.

> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your
> company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

1 (I'm the only Flex dev)
9, if you count the java devs that need my build scripts to build their web
apps

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)

yes

> [...]

> much appreciated.
>
> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Re: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

I am actually using Gradle with GradleFx plugin (sorry Chris, had too many
issues with FlexMojos :-/ ). Gradle uses Maven under the hood. My answers
to the first 5 questions should be interpreted from that angle.

> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your
> company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

1 (I'm the only Flex dev)
9, if you count the java devs that need my build scripts to build their web
apps

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes

yes

Re: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...I think the download server is just a file server on Akamai.  I don't know
> what it would take to install server-side code on it, but I would much
> rather not...

Note that AFAIK an http Maven repository is just static files, you
don't need server-side code for a read-only repository.

-Bertrand

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/29/12 2:43 PM, "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>
wrote:

> Well this part should actually be a "mojo" ... that's sort of part of a
> complete plugin. What I could do, would be to sort of start off with creating
> this mojo (Without placing the code in the public Apache SVN). As soon as
> Adobe gives the ok, we would add it there.
>
> As it is possible to fragment a plugin into multiple jars, even if Adobe
> requested the mojo to remain closed source, we could deploy the mojos jar in a
> public repo and the user wouldn't see a difference.
Legal seemed ok with having the source being open once they are convinced it
gives them sufficient legal protection, so wouldn't worry about it never
being opened if we end up using it.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
+10 :)

I'd like to publicly acknowledge that I would have probably blown my head
off by now if I were in your shoes and had to deal with all the issues on
the Adobe side.

Thanks for keeping things moving.

Leif

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
That's good to hear. Thanks for staying with it.

Sent from my mobile device.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Update:

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

[POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Greg,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hopefully legal will change their opinion.  If not I will try to see if
there is some alternative.

I understand that software is supposed to be developed in the open at
Apache.  But if the goal of the code is to meet a legal requirement and it
doesn't, it seems reasonable that traces of it shouldn't remain in the open
source world to be potentially proliferated.

-Alex

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

[POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/29/12 2:43 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
>> One important thing, legal may want you to develop this plug-in without
>> checking it into any public source code repository until they have a chance
>> to see it work.
> Can you give their reasons behind this?
If legal decides the plug-in doesn't give sufficient legal protection to
Adobe and we decide to abandon it, there is no way to eradicate it from
existence.

> Wouldn't it be better to have it worked on collaboratively in the open by the
> community?
Sure, from the Apache perspective.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Chris,

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/30/12 9:29 AM, "Omar Gonzalez" <om...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>

>> Anyway, I would like your thoughts on Adobe Legal's desire to review the
>> way
>> the code will work before it gets checked into SVN.
>>
>> --
>> Alex Harui
>> Flex SDK Team
>> Adobe Systems, Inc.
>> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui
>>

> Just thinking out loud here as I don't really know the level of review
> Adobe Legal requires to make their assessments...
>
> But, would it be sufficient for Adobe Legal if they were provided a
> sequence diagram to explain how the code would work? We could create the
> diagram and refine it on the mailing list and once its ready have Adobe
> Legal take a look. If the assumptions/design in the diagram are OK then we
> can continue with code development in the open in Apache repos?
It might be sufficient, but I think they want to see it actually run.  Many
sequence diagrams never actually get implemented in the way they are drawn
up.  But it doesn't have to be complete or even actually download anything,
just enough to see that you can stop maven and ask a question and abort if
the answer is no, and in the case of non-interactive mode that there isn't
some easy way around it.  Once they see that, I'm pretty sure it can be
finished in the open.  And there's still a chance that when I ask them again
on Monday they will have relaxed their position.

I haven't looked to see if there is any Apache precedence for this kind of
issue.  It would seem to me that if some of us were discussing on the list
about adding some feature and someone else lurking on the list spoke up and
said "hey, I have a patent/copyright on stuff like that and I'm not willing
to donate it", that we might also give them a private copy of early code to
review to see if they would have objections.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I would like your thoughts on Adobe Legal's desire to review the
> way
> the code will work before it gets checked into SVN.
>
> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Just thinking out loud here as I don't really know the level of review
Adobe Legal requires to make their assessments...

But, would it be sufficient for Adobe Legal if they were provided a
sequence diagram to explain how the code would work? We could create the
diagram and refine it on the mailing list and once its ready have Adobe
Legal take a look. If the assumptions/design in the diagram are OK then we
can continue with code development in the open in Apache repos?

Just a thought...

-omar

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...It appears that Adobe doesn't want to invest in a login infrastructure, they
> just want you to have made one easy positive action.  I think I see that a
> lot when downloading stuff from other places as well....

You might then just require users to type something like "I agree with
the conditions of http://example.com/foo" somewhere before being able
to download.

-Bertrand

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/30/12 9:41 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> ...Anyway, I would like your thoughts on Adobe Legal's desire to review the
>> way
>> the code will work before it gets checked into SVN....
>
> My opinion is that if someone requires people to accept a license
> agreement before downloading stuff, it's a server-side problem.
> Whatever client tool is used, if the server exposes the content via
> http without credentials and a secure connection, it's very easy to
> bypass the client.
>
> The way Oracle solves that for Java is that the VMs that require
> accepting something are only available via a web page where you have
> to login and click through an agreement - that's not fun, but I'm not
> sure there's a better way if the owner of those bits insists on
> *people* agreeing to something before downloading.

It appears that Adobe doesn't want to invest in a login infrastructure, they
just want you to have made one easy positive action.  I think I see that a
lot when downloading stuff from other places as well.

> I don't think the "develop the secret bits in a hidden place" makes
> sense in a world where javap exists ;-)
I don't think Adobe never wants the code to be open.  They just want to make
sure that it meets their legal requirements before it gets opened.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 30, 2012, at 4:07 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> ...We are all Maven-ignorant at Adobe...
>
> Huh? There's lots of Adobe folks involved in Apache Jackrabbit, Felix,
> Sling and other projects [1] which are almost all built using Maven.
>
> (not that it matters for this discussion, but the generalization looks
> wrong to me ;-)

Adobe CQ5 is a very fine looking product! ;-)

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/30/12 1:07 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> ...We are all Maven-ignorant at Adobe...
>
> Huh? There's lots of Adobe folks involved in Apache Jackrabbit, Felix,
> Sling and other projects [1] which are almost all built using Maven.
>
> (not that it matters for this discussion, but the generalization looks
> wrong to me ;-)
>
> -Bertrand
>
> [1] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opensource.html
Yes, my apologies.  I should have just said "the Adobe folks working on
getting the Flash stuff under Maven".

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok so this is good news :-)

Well perhaps some other guys could join the discussion, because currently I don't have an idea how we want to enforce the accceptance of the licenses from the side of the download-server - I mean on http level.

My proposal for an automated downloader would take care of integrating the license acceptance into the maven build, unfortunately it woudn't prevent someone from simply downloading the stuff from the Adobe servers manually without accepting any license. What exaclty would "manage the download server" mean? Are you allowed to place stuff in certain directories, or could you setup stuff on the server itself? Just to sort of give the thoughts a direction. I still think of a Nexus instance with creating/reactivating accounts linked to accepting the Licenses of being the best and safest solution. It would definitely reduce the amount of work having tob e done at Adobes side and we could simply rely on the existing maven features.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:49 AM, christofer.dutz@c-ware.de <
christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:

> What would you all think of the following solution:
> - Apache deploys the Apache Flex FDK artifacts in a public maven repo
> (Without the Apache stuff you need a license for)
> - In the maven-flex-plugin suite there is one mojo that binds to mavens
> "initialize" phase and checks the availability of the Apache artifacts. If
> they are missing it prompts the user if he accepts the license agreement
> (An option to allow a non-interactive build would be good for running on
> CI-Servers)
> - The Adobe-Stuff-Deployer mojo internally uses part of the Mavenizer to
> deploy artifacts to the local maven repo.
> - The rest of the maven-flex-plugin suite uses the atrifacts in the repo
> as in any normal build.

Just about as close to perfect as you could get. +1.

Greg

AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

I am actually using Gradle with GradleFx plugin (sorry Chris, had too many
issues with FlexMojos :-/ ). Gradle uses Maven under the hood. My answers
to the first 5 questions should be interpreted from that angle.

> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

1 (I'm the only Flex dev)
9, if you count the java devs that need my build scripts to build their web
apps

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)

yes

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.
I am actually using Gradle with GradleFx plugin (sorry Chris, had too many
issues with FlexMojos :-/ ). Gradle uses Maven under the hood. My answers
to the first 5 questions should be interpreted from that angle.

> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

1 (I'm the only Flex dev)
9, if you count the java devs that need my build scripts to build their web
apps

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)

yes

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 11/27/2012 1:46 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> There have been some recent discussions about Maven and how it could work
> with Apache Flex.  There are several possibilities, but none of them are
> perfect because of Adobe licensing requirements.  This poll is only about
> how you use or plan to use Apache Flex and Maven to build apps that use an
> Adobe runtime (Adobe Flash Player or Adobe AIR including Adobe AIR packaged
> for Android or IOS).  We¹ll worry about other Apache Flex scenarios in the
> future.  This poll also assumes that the Adobe will not change its SDK
> licensing and requires that you accept the licensing terms at least once.
>
> Also, you can substitute the word "Maven" for any Maven-like tool that uses
> Maven files.
>
> Please answer the following:
>
> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

0

  And I guess I can add nothing of value to the other questions.

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Miguel Serrano <ms...@gmail.com>.
Company: Plumbee Ltd.

8

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)

Yes

3. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on desktop/laptops (yes or
> no)

Yes

2

1

--
Miguel Serrano Milano
mserranom@gmail.com

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Here's my responses:

> Please answer the following:
>
> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

15

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)

yes

> 3. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on desktop/laptops (yes or
> no)

yes

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Stefan Horochovec <st...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for my last email, it´s incomplete...

1. +1000

2. Yes

3. No (don´t use AIR)

4. No (don´t use AIR)

5. No (don´t use AIR)

6 a) 0
6 b) 1
6 c) -1
6 d) 0
6 e) -1
6 f) 2

Stefan Horochovec

Posted by Stefan Horochovec <st...@gmail.com>.
1. +1000

2. Yes

3. No (don´t use AIR)

4. No (don´t use AIR)

5. No (don´t use AIR)

6 a) 0
6 a) 0
6 a) 0
6 a) 0

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
I don't use Maven but if I would this would be my answers

[...]

*-1*

    b) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Apache Flex
       site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
       to accept the Adobe license agreement.

*2*

    c) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Adobe
       site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
       to accept the Adobe license agreement.

*0*

    d) Maven can be used as-is for FlashPlayer apps and AIR apps on
       desktops/laptops, but not for AIR apps on Android/IOS.  To target
       Android/IOS, you must use one of the first three implementations

*0*

    e) We will manually download the Player SDKs and AIR SDKs and put them
       in our local/private Maven repo.

*-1*

    f) We would use a utility application that would download the Player
       SDKs and AIR SDKs (prompting you to accept the license) and put them
       in our local/private Maven repo.

*-1*

--

João Fernandes

RE: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Neil Madsen <li...@cranialinteractive.com>.

> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your
company (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

0

It probably comes more from never having used it or seen what kind of
benefits there could be for a small shop.

RE: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Frank Morawietz <Mo...@mhh-solartechnik.de>.

3

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)

yes

> 3. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on desktop/laptops (yes or
> no)

no

> 4. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on Android (yes or no)
Yes

> 5. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on IOS (yes or no)

Yes

> 6. Rate the following proposed implementations (-1 = not acceptable, 0 =
> neutral, 1 = acceptable, 2 = preferred)
>     a) You must manually download the Player SDK and AIR SDK from the Adobe
>        site and set up environment variables pointing to them

-1

>     b) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Apache Flex
>        site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
>        to accept the Adobe license agreement.

2

    c) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Adobe
>        site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
>        to accept the Adobe license agreement.

0

>     d) Maven can be used as-is for FlashPlayer apps and AIR apps on
>        desktops/laptops, but not for AIR apps on Android/IOS.  To target
>        Android/IOS, you must use one of the first three implementations

-1

>     e) We will manually download the Player SDKs and AIR SDKs and put them
>        in our local/private Maven repo.

0

>     f) We would use a utility application that would download the Player
>        SDKs and AIR SDKs (prompting you to accept the license) and put them
>        in our local/private Maven repo.

1

Dr. Frank Morawietz
Lead Software Architect

MHH Solartechnik GmbH
Eisenbahnstr. 150
D-72072 Tübingen

Fon +49 7071 98987-186
Fax +49 7071 98987-10
mailto:morawietz@mhh-solartechnik.de
www.mhh-solartechnik.de

MHH Solartechnik GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Tübingen
Geschäftsführer: Günter Haug

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Petr Svoboda <wo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

here are some poll anwers. For the question 6e resp. 6f - I'd prefer
solution with proper license handling, but tight integration with local
maven repo might be quite overhead (like it will offer feature to upload to
nexus/artifactory?). Remote mvn repo proxied by local artifact cache (as we
use artifactory) is not offered as one of the options if I understand well.

Regards
Petr

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

20

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)

yes

Re: AW: [Discuss] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/28/12 7:00 AM, "Simon Morvan" <ga...@zone84.net> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Velo's communication policy is disruptive* yet Flexmojos is open-source.
> Nothing blocks us from make it a true Apache project, in the scope of
> Flex (preferably) or in it's own scope. Communication policy would be
> then ruled by the community.
Actually, that's probably not true.  Even though it is open-source, it is
"owned" and we cannot copy it into Apache without the owner's permission.
Well, we probably "can" but it is against Apache policy to do so.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: AW: [Discuss] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Simon Morvan <ga...@zone84.net>.
Le 27/11/2012 23:04, christofer.dutz@c-ware.de a écrit :
> Even if I'm currently the project lead of Flexmojos, I would strongly suggest not to go that road.
>
> There is far too much legacy stuff to carry with Flexmojos and I have to admit that the rather restricive communication policy of Velo is rather discouraging.
>
> I think IF WE WERE TO GO THAT ROAD, developing an Apache Flex plugin first and using that to compile the Framework libs sounds like a far better solution.
> This way we would have controll over the entire stack needed to build Flex.
Chris,

Velo's communication policy is disruptive* yet Flexmojos is open-source.
Nothing blocks us from make it a true Apache project, in the scope of
Flex (preferably) or in it's own scope. Communication policy would be
then ruled by the community.

*well... in my opinion, it's just self defence of a sole individual
overflowed by its user-base rants and complaints.

--
Simon

AW: [Discuss] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Morvan <ga...@zone84.net>.
Le 27/11/2012 19:46, Alex Harui a écrit :
> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).
5-10
(Small agency, we're using maven to build /every/ Flash/Flex based
project since Flex 3).

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)
yes (currently used)

> 3. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on desktop/laptops (yes or
> no)
yes (currently used)

> 4. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on Android (yes or no)
yes (currently used, with home made scripts for the final apk packaging)

> 5. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on IOS (yes or no)
yes (currently used, with home made scripts for the final apk packaging)

> 6. Rate the following proposed implementations (-1 = not acceptable, 0 =
> neutral, 1 = acceptable, 2 = preferred)
>     a) You must manually download the Player SDK and AIR SDK from the Adobe
>        site and set up environment variables pointing to them
-1 : the whole point of using maven project descriptor is to streamline
project builds would it be on the developper station, the integration
server or the release process. Dependent artifacts have to be
'mavenized' and available on a shared repo (private or public).

>     b) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Apache Flex
>        site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
>        to accept the Adobe license agreement.
2

>     c) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Adobe
>        site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
>        to accept the Adobe license agreement.
1 Aactually, it's more to be sure that every artifact needed for a given
Flex version will be gathered a the same place instead of living on
several repositories, leading to potential issues. But if versioning of
playerglobal/air sdk is completely independant of flex versioning AND if
the compatiblity matrix between each others can be expressed in form of
maven dependency graph, it wouldn't be an issue to ship some artifact
from Adobe's repo and others from Apache's repo.

>     d) Maven can be used as-is for FlashPlayer apps and AIR apps on
>        desktops/laptops, but not for AIR apps on Android/IOS.  To target
>        Android/IOS, you must use one of the first three implementations
2, this is currently the case with Velo's mavenized SDK (prior SDK
"Apachization")
>     e) We will manually download the Player SDKs and AIR SDKs and put them
>        in our local/private Maven repo.
0
>     f) We would use a utility application that would download the Player
>        SDKs and AIR SDKs (prompting you to accept the license) and put them
>        in our local/private Maven repo.
1 (actually, "e" is implemented by Christopher's toolset but an
"official" and maintained tool would be preferable).

b & c : I think there's a confusion between the maven plugin that would
be required to actually build something with mxmlc API and the SDK
dependency artifact.
There should no be licensing issue with the plugin itself but with the
SDK artifact (AIR & playerglobal) only. And it'll be prompted for a
license approval each time you use a SDK version for the first time.

--
Simon

AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I'll reply to this as I never really got the initial post

1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
(0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

1 (I'm a one-man-show)

[...]

2 (Would prefer normal Flex applications to be built without setting up or having to agree to anything and to have an Apache Plugin handling the download of restricted Air stuff)

   e) We will manually download the Player SDKs and AIR SDKs and put them
      in our local/private Maven repo.

0 (This ist he current situation using the Mavenizer)

   f) We would use a utility application that would download the Player
      SDKs and AIR SDKs (prompting you to accept the license) and put them
      in our local/private Maven repo.

1 (Would be an extended Mavenizer that also does downloads)

Chris

1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
(0 if you have no interest in using Maven).
10

[...]

Jose Barragan
Software Architect Chief

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Jose Barragan Andrade <pe...@me.com>.
My votes:

> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).
10

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)
yes

> 3. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on desktop/laptops (yes or
> no)
yes

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
Clarifying my answer... we have a private/closed development network.  It becomes difficult to get outside resources in on these machines.  Servers/clients on this network do not communicate with the outside world.

Tools that download files directly require lots of work arounds.

-Mark

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
0 - Not using maven.

-Mark

Posted by Bogdan DINU <fl...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

here are my answers

> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

3

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)

yes

> 3. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on desktop/laptops (yes or
> no)

yes

> 4. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on Android (yes or no)

no

> 5. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on IOS (yes or no)

no

> 6. Rate the following proposed implementations (-1 = not acceptable, 0 =
> neutral, 1 = acceptable, 2 = preferred)
>     a) You must manually download the Player SDK and AIR SDK from the Adobe
>        site and set up environment variables pointing to them

-1

>     b) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Apache Flex
>        site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
>        to accept the Adobe license agreement.

0

>     c) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Adobe
>        site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
>        to accept the Adobe license agreement.

 0

>     d) Maven can be used as-is for FlashPlayer apps and AIR apps on
>        desktops/laptops, but not for AIR apps on Android/IOS.  To target
>        Android/IOS, you must use one of the first three implementations

2

>     e) We will manually download the Player SDKs and AIR SDKs and put them
>        in our local/private Maven repo.

-1

>     f) We would use a utility application that would download the Player
>        SDKs and AIR SDKs (prompting you to accept the license) and put them
>        in our local/private Maven repo.

-1

Best regards,
Bogdan

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> There have been some recent discussions about Maven and how it could work
> with Apache Flex.  There are several possibilities, but none of them are
> perfect because of Adobe licensing requirements.  This poll is only about
> how you use or plan to use Apache Flex and Maven to build apps that use an
> Adobe runtime (Adobe Flash Player or Adobe AIR including Adobe AIR packaged
> for Android or IOS).  We¹ll worry about other Apache Flex scenarios in the
> future.  This poll also assumes that the Adobe will not change its SDK
> licensing and requires that you accept the licensing terms at least once.
>
> Also, you can substitute the word "Maven" for any Maven-like tool that uses
> Maven files.
>
> Please answer the following:
>
> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

0.

No input on other points.

-omar

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
Just realized I answered one of the questions incorrectly. See below:

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>     b) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Apache Flex
>>        site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
>>        to accept the Adobe license agreement.
>>

> +1

This should have been a 2.

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).

6 - 8

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)

Yes

> 3. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on desktop/laptops (yes or
> no)

No.

> 4. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on Android (yes or no)

Yes.

> 5. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on IOS (yes or no)

Yes

> 6. Rate the following proposed implementations (-1 = not acceptable, 0 =
> neutral, 1 = acceptable, 2 = preferred)
>     a) You must manually download the Player SDK and AIR SDK from the Adobe
>        site and set up environment variables pointing to them

-1

>     b) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Apache Flex
>        site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
>        to accept the Adobe license agreement.

+1

>     c) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Adobe
>        site.  The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
>        to accept the Adobe license agreement.

0

>     d) Maven can be used as-is for FlashPlayer apps and AIR apps on
>        desktops/laptops, but not for AIR apps on Android/IOS.  To target
>        Android/IOS, you must use one of the first three implementations

-1

>     e) We will manually download the Player SDKs and AIR SDKs and put them
>        in our local/private Maven repo.

Who is "we"? If "we" is my company, the answer is 0 to somewhere near +1.
If "we" is Apache Flex, I'll have to think about the ramifications of that.
I don't mind putting dependencies in my company's private repo for things
like that, but if Option b was available I'd prefer that.

>     f) We would use a utility application that would download the Player
>        SDKs and AIR SDKs (prompting you to accept the license) and put them
>        in our local/private Maven repo.

-1 Would rather do this manually according to my own repo methodology
(artifactory vs. nexus, choosing where to put them, etc.

Greg

Re: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex

Posted by Paras Sheth <pa...@morebinary.com>.
Hi,

Here are my answers
> Alex Harui <ma...@adobe.com>
> 27 November 2012 18:46
> Hi Folks,
>
> There have been some recent discussions about Maven and how it could work
> with Apache Flex. There are several possibilities, but none of them are
> perfect because of Adobe licensing requirements. This poll is only about
> how you use or plan to use Apache Flex and Maven to build apps that use an
> Adobe runtime (Adobe Flash Player or Adobe AIR including Adobe AIR
> packaged
> for Android or IOS). We¹ll worry about other Apache Flex scenarios in the
> future. This poll also assumes that the Adobe will not change its SDK
> licensing and requires that you accept the licensing terms at least once.
>
> Also, you can substitute the word "Maven" for any Maven-like tool that
> uses
> Maven files.
>
> Please answer the following:
>
> 1. Number of people who will use Maven to develop Flex apps at your
> company
> (0 if you have no interest in using Maven).
10

> 2. Maven would be used to develop apps for FlashPlayer in the browser (yes
> or no)
yes

> 3. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on desktop/laptops (yes or
> no)
yes

> 4. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on Android (yes or no)
no

> 5. Maven would be used to develop apps for AIR on IOS (yes or no)
no

> 6. Rate the following proposed implementations (-1 = not acceptable, 0 =
> neutral, 1 = acceptable, 2 = preferred)
> a) You must manually download the Player SDK and AIR SDK from the Adobe
> site and set up environment variables pointing to them
-1
> b) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Apache Flex
> site. The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
> to accept the Adobe license agreement.
1
> c) You must download and install a Maven plug-in from the Adobe
> site. The first time you use Maven on a computer, it will ask you
> to accept the Adobe license agreement.
0

> d) Maven can be used as-is for FlashPlayer apps and AIR apps on
> desktops/laptops, but not for AIR apps on Android/IOS. To target
> Android/IOS, you must use one of the first three implementations
2
> e) We will manually download the Player SDKs and AIR SDKs and put them
> in our local/private Maven repo.
-1
> f) We would use a utility application that would download the Player
> SDKs and AIR SDKs (prompting you to accept the license) and put them
> in our local/private Maven repo.
-1

> Thanks in advance. Remember that polls are not binding, but your input is
> much appreciated.

Thanks

Paras