Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Udaya Lakshmi <ud...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/05 12:22:11 UTC

Doubt: Regarding running Hadoop on a cluster with shared disk.

Hi,
   I have an account on a cluster which is having a file system similar to
NFS. If I create a file on one machine it is being shown on all the machines
in the cluster. But hadoop will work on a cluster of machines, where in ,
each machine has a disk of its own. Can someone please help me use hadoop on
my cluster.
Thanks,
Udaya.

RE: Doubt: Regarding running Hadoop on a cluster with shared disk.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Udaya,

You can use non-local disk on your hadoop cloud, however it will have sub-optimal performance, and you will have to tune accordingly.

If its a shared drive on all of your nodes, you need to create different directories for each machine.

Suppose your shared drive is /foo  then you would need to set up a /foo/<name of node>/data for each machine in your cluster.

The drawback is not only I/O traffic and constraints but you'll have to tune ZK and watch out for timing issues as your disk i/o is your constraint.

Definitely not recommended.