Posted to nmaven-dev@incubator.apache.org by Pavel Znamenáček <zn...@cncz.cz> on 2008/01/17 00:11:04 UTC

[Feature Question] Debug or Release build styles

Hi,

    I (we) would like to use NMaven in the feature, but it should handle
more then just it handle now on the trunk (I'm watching changes daily
and NMaven is my favorite hobby).

    The feature which we would like to have is to deploy application in
both build styles Debug and Release. This is very useful for us. There
is at least one development scenario/use case what helps developers on
the large scaled projects to save compilation time in case the developer
is trying to debug built target application. He debugs his sub-system of
all large scaled project and he would like to cross his boundary (step
out of the call stack) to other subsystem (without other sub-system
recompilation to get .pdb) and he cannot do that until the debugger has
special .pdb file to interpret the debug information.

    This arise a question: "Will be there a way to
build/install/deploy/assemble the all projects in two build styles?",
but without splitting POM to two POMs with Debug and Release profile.
         OR is there another way to do similar technique?
         OR how do you debug your large scaled projects - not just two
or three POM results, but 50 POMs result?
         AND will include .pdb file the deployed debug style build ?

Thankx for reply.

Br, Pavel Znamenacek

Re: [Feature Question] Debug or Release build styles

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pavel,

This has come up before on the list but it does not look at though there is
an open JIRA. If you can open one at: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/NMaven,
we can start to track it. We are locking things down to try to get the
0.15release, but I think it would be reasonable to slate this for
0.16.

The way I see this working is to have a debug profile within the pom that
will feed a debug flag through the maven-compiler-plugin config. Then the
plugin or compiler context will need to attach the pdb file to the project
prior to installation. Resolving may be a bit tricky, I'm not sure how we
can unattach the pdb files using the standard artifact resolver on a default
build. When we deal with VS support, we also need to look into alternate
locations (outside of the m2 repo) that we need to install the dll and pdb
files.

Anyone is of course welcome to jump in on this and implement the pdb
support.

Shane

On Jan 16, 2008 4:11 PM, Pavel Znamenáček <zn...@cncz.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I (we) would like to use NMaven in the feature, but it should handle
> more then just it handle now on the trunk (I'm watching changes daily
> and NMaven is my favorite hobby).
>
>    The feature which we would like to have is to deploy application in
> both build styles Debug and Release. This is very useful for us. There
> is at least one development scenario/use case what helps developers on
> the large scaled projects to save compilation time in case the developer
> is trying to debug built target application. He debugs his sub-system of
> all large scaled project and he would like to cross his boundary (step
> out of the call stack) to other subsystem (without other sub-system
> recompilation to get .pdb) and he cannot do that until the debugger has
> special .pdb file to interpret the debug information.
>
>    This arise a question: "Will be there a way to
> build/install/deploy/assemble the all projects in two build styles?",
> but without splitting POM to two POMs with Debug and Release profile.

We can do this with two profiles in the same pom.