Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Anshuman Singh <si...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/25 18:22:29 UTC

Case insensitive search on String field

Hi,

We missed the fact that case insensitive search doesn't work with
field type "string". We have 3B docs indexed and we cannot reindex the data.

Now, as schema changes require reindexing, is there any other way to
achieve case insensitive search on string fields?

Regards,
Anshuman

Re: Case insensitive search on String field

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
In a word, “no”. The string type is intentionally primitive, no analysis/case changing is done at all.

You say “you cannot reindex the data”. Why not? Just due to time constraints or is the original data no longer available?

If all the fields are stored, you can pull the docs from the collection and index it into a new collection. See:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_1/collections-api.html, the REINDEXCOLLECTION command.

Best,
Erick