Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2003/09/19 23:56:16 UTC

[OT] Lightweight helper libraries for reporting?

Does anyone know of any good libraries for collecting report data?

To be clear -- I'm not interested in a full-scale reporting library
like JasperReports.  I've looked at it, and while it looks cool, I
have some specific requirements it doesn't serve.  I've also looked
at the Display tag library, and while it has its good and bad opints,
it's basically not what I need.

What I'm looking for is something into which I can throw a bunch of
beans of a common type and then ask it to do things like grouping,
group totals, grand totals, and the like.  Basically, the model of a
report data set, independent of how it is populated or how it would
be displayed.

Have you seen my library?

Thanks in advance,
	Joe

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jasperreports/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/displaytag/

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com
"If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."
	--Jaron Lanier

RE: [OT] Lightweight helper libraries for reporting?

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 14:43 +0800 9/22/03, Mohd Amin Mohd Din wrote:
>Maybe you could use http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/

Ah, I think you missed my first post.  My users have almost infinite
flexibility both in entering search criteria as well as with what
data fields are displayed in the resulting output.  I don't see how
to do that with JasperReports.  If I were a power user, maybe I could
figure out some way to do all of that at runtime, but JasperReports
looks to me like its designed mostly for running statically defined
reports.  I know you can pass in some parameters and such, but my
case seems like it's out of line with what JasperReports is designed
to do.

It does look promising for its target cases, and I plan to give it a
closer look when I have a project that is a better fit...

Joe

Posted by Mohd Amin Mohd Din <am...@nc.com.my>.
Maybe you could use http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.