Posted to community@apache.org by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> on 2003/09/29 20:48:53 UTC

ISO may charge developers to use language and country codes

see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2003JulSep/0213.

if ISO decides to charge, then will this have an impact on apache products?

if so, is there any action that the ASF can take to influence ISO's
decision?

- robert

Re: ISO may charge developers to use language and country codes

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2003JulSep/0213.
> if ISO decides to charge, then will this have an impact on apache products?

In its current for: yes

> if so, is there any action that the ASF can take to influence ISO's
> decision?

You can contact (yes that is phone or letter - no email) your local
representavive:

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/aboutiso/isomembers/MemberList.MemberSummary?MEMBERCODE=10

and politely ask to speak to your countries CPSG representative/contact
(not all countries have one - but some one will be following it as part of
the preparation of the vote at the general assembly). This will generally
be someone on a director level. You generally will get an appointment,
quite easily. Explain that you have a concern with regard to the
'distribution of ISO 3166 country codes, ISO 4217 currency codes, and ISO
639 language codes'. (Make sure you read up on it in detail - the person
will generally be very well briefed - http://www.w3.org/ is a good start -
as is http://www.unicode.org/consortium/utc-positions.html). And take it
from there. Be sure to make clear that the cost recover issue is propably
not a large one in this internet day and age (i.e. in the 100-200k/year)
and that some i18n organiation may well be able to supply one. - And if
you are european and get hold of your rep - do contact me :-) as we may be
able to do something europe wide to make that issue go away.

Dw

Re: ISO may charge developers to use language and country codes

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:48:53PM +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2003JulSep/0213.
>
> if ISO decides to charge, then will this have an impact on apache products?
>
> if so, is there any action that the ASF can take to influence ISO's
> decision?

No worries. Please see:

  http://www.iso.org/iso/en/commcentre/pressreleases/2003/Ref871.html

Cheers,
-g

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/

Re: ISO may charge developers to use language and country codes

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
robert burrell donkin dijo:
> see
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2003JulSep/0213.
>
> if ISO decides to charge.

This is very nasty! When will start charging us for thinking? In what work
we are living? Software Patents, charge for usage country codes...?

Why they does not define a clear politic? Initially it was OK to use it,
now (when everybody uses it) they ask for money to use it! It remember me
the GIF format affair.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: ISO may charge developers to use language and country codes

Posted by Joerg Pietschmann <pi...@apache.org>.
According to news on XML-DEV, the issue has been put to rest.
The URL quoted there  (I hadn't had a look myself):
  http://www.iso.org/iso/en/commcentre/pressreleases/2003/Ref871.html

J.PIetschmann